Immediate help needed!

prinsipe

Not Too eXPerienced
Heres what happened:

im listening to some music one lazy saturday afternoon when the system freezes. so I pushed the reset button to restart, in my surprise the cpu has no power what so ever (no lights: hdd led, power, etc.).

i tried to disassemble the hardwares thinking that something might have a loose connection, i got it to power on once again but after few minutes the system hangs anew, tried to reset again and the same results: no power.

the last thing I did was to format my drive and make a clean install, everything works fine until the 3rd reboot and everything was like before again system hangs just a few minutes of operation.

One thing I have observed is that when i unplugged the power source for about 3 hours and put it back there is a power when I push the power button but still when it reaches windows if freezes, reset it then no power, unplug it for 3 hours then power is back again im really really frustrated.

could this be a hardware failure? im suspecting the motherboard or the memory is causing this, what do you think? thanks for any help you might extend to me.........................thank you in advance..........

Intel P4 1.6 Ghz
Intel M'Board
128MB Ram

i will be totally wrong of course but i got a pc like that........the psu gets warm ....even when the pc is off.....and if a restart is needed its gotta be cold or she wont play

just a thought

1) I concur that it could be a PSU over heating.

2) I would also test the ram with memtest86 (and maybe look into getting more than 128)

Sounds alot like hardware anyway, I don't think software could cause this. I agree that it could be the PSU, but it might be something else as well.

something like that happened to me. i was playing a game and the comp just shut off. i tried to start it up again and it would only get so far then freeze. i tried formatting the HD and it would get 1/2 way through and restart or freeze. i ended up getting a new motherboard and power supply. i also upgraded my cpu and ram but i think it was the power supply or the motherboard. either way, it sucked.

i had the same problem last month, it turned out to be a dodgy harddrive problem (but would happen the same on any device) ....

the bad hdd was pulling too much juice and the power supply was tripping out .... i changed the power wupply to a better one and it worked fine for about a week then started again, eventually after unplugging everything inside the case and testing one at a time it turned out to be the HDD, so i put the old psu in and hey presto it works fine again.

tip, if the power supply is tripping out it will eventually damage it! so replace it first anyway.

tip2, asus motherboards trip out if there is a faulty component, this is by design.

tip3, dont eat yellow snow

mooz.

Yup, my comp did that to me too, I freaked out at the time only to find out that my PSU was not performing properly.

I changed it and TA-DA! havent had a problem in the last year

I got my money on either the hard drive (most probable) or the motherboard....maaaaybe the PSU but i dont think so

I'll take a little of that action, Bootsy :) My money is on the PSU. Like MC82 I had a similar problem that was getting progressively worse... turns out I cooked a resistor in the psu.

Dood......

Hey Nivlo21
Hows it going old bud, whats geordie land like at this time o' year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back