Image Software

Image Software
I build a few laptops a day. I just put XP SP2 Driver updates and Office 2K3 on it. What would be the best software out there to send an Image to it. I know about Ghost but it looks like I need a license per PC so that could get spendy. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Nate

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
I would like to put my .02 in behind Ghost, and Acronis products. They are both very high quality.

Obviously cost is something to keep in mind, but you get what you pay for.

Thread Moved

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
In a nutshell, the biggest differences is that Acronis lets you do a full backup from within Windows. It has the ability to unlock files as needed so the machine doesn't actually have to come down (get rebooted) to make a full backup.

Not really applicable to a workstation, but I also like the feature of being able to run the system off a CD while doing a restore. I have used this for servers before whereas critical services such as ADUC, DHCP, DNS etc - can all still run from an image-based CD while the actual machine itself is still being restored.

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
not to hijack this post, but is there a way to make a drive image of linux from within linux and then port it somehow to work with vmware on a pc?

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
not to hijack this post, but is there a way to make a drive image of linux from within linux and then port it somehow to work with vmware on a pc?
Hard to take an image from a live running system (files in use and all that jazz). Far easier to boot off a boot disk and take an image and pull that image into VMware using ghost or TrueImage.

You could boot the source machine off a linux live distro (Knoppix, etc). and run a dd image of the source comp. then boot the VM Guest off the live CD and import the dd image into the VM. May have to deal with the hardware change issues.

Any one else?

Thanks
I think Ghost and TrueImage are probably the most popular/useable drive imaging products. It used to be ghost and PowerQuest's Drive Image, but then Symantec bought Drive Image.

There are some smaller drive cloning/imaging products.. but I have never used them.

Drive Image (for windows or linux)
DriveImageXML
R-Drive Image

There are other options out there. But again, I have never used them as Ghost and/or TrueImage are really considered the "class" of the drive imaging field.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crylson