Image Software

omg its nlm

lvl 17 Hax
Image Software
I build a few laptops a day. I just put XP SP2 Driver updates and Office 2K3 on it. What would be the best software out there to send an Image to it. I know about Ghost but it looks like I need a license per PC so that could get spendy. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Nate

I would like to put my .02 in behind Ghost, and Acronis products. They are both very high quality.

Obviously cost is something to keep in mind, but you get what you pay for.

Thread Moved

Yeah I was thinking about the Acronis products. I will have to take a look at them more.

Thanks

In a nutshell, the biggest differences is that Acronis lets you do a full backup from within Windows. It has the ability to unlock files as needed so the machine doesn't actually have to come down (get rebooted) to make a full backup.

Not really applicable to a workstation, but I also like the feature of being able to run the system off a CD while doing a restore. I have used this for servers before whereas critical services such as ADUC, DHCP, DNS etc - can all still run from an image-based CD while the actual machine itself is still being restored.

not to hijack this post, but is there a way to make a drive image of linux from within linux and then port it somehow to work with vmware on a pc?

not to hijack this post, but is there a way to make a drive image of linux from within linux and then port it somehow to work with vmware on a pc?

Hard to take an image from a live running system (files in use and all that jazz). Far easier to boot off a boot disk and take an image and pull that image into VMware using ghost or TrueImage.

You could boot the source machine off a linux live distro (Knoppix, etc). and run a dd image of the source comp. then boot the VM Guest off the live CD and import the dd image into the VM. May have to deal with the hardware change issues.

Any one else?

Thanks

I think Ghost and TrueImage are probably the most popular/useable drive imaging products. It used to be ghost and PowerQuest's Drive Image, but then Symantec bought Drive Image.

There are some smaller drive cloning/imaging products.. but I have never used them.

Drive Image (for windows or linux)
DriveImageXML
R-Drive Image

There are other options out there. But again, I have never used them as Ghost and/or TrueImage are really considered the "class" of the drive imaging field.

Last edited:
it looks like just the thing, but it doesn't seem to support linux conversions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back