I'm curious ...

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
As some of you know, I'm helping out a friend and trying to get a website up and running. She and I have a difference of opinion on how the coding gets or should get done.

I believe it's best to learn using Notepad then, if you prefer, switch to an editor. She disagrees lol.

My question ... How many of you who do your own sites, use Notepad? What would you say the percentage is, out of 100, use strictly Notepad?

Looking at thread title..............you certainly are.

I'd be dead n the water if I used notepad. I lty others do the work. :D

I know some of the developers on here use only notepad. I don't cause notepad sucks, its a program that should only be used for opening readme files :)

I do recommend a text editor though, I use EditPlus. Can use whatever.

IMO, the only way your going to learn by using a wysiwyg editor is once you've done the desgin is to then look at the code and make sure you understand it, which seems kinda pointless since you might as well just write the code. its much easier to learn whilst doing it than it is to learn just be looking, also then you sure of total control over it.

The only other advantage of wysiwyg i can see is maybe time. It would be quicker to do without prior knowledge. and if your not intertested in learning code then use one, but make sure it outputs standard compliant code (cause major messy code is the bane of many wysiwyg editors)

I recon most of the people who use notepad (and i'll lump other text editors in there) use only that edito, proabably 90+% at a guess :)

notepad and editplus/others are very similar.

i used to use notepad...
but programming and debugging is a pain in the butt if you dont have numbered lines. sure the color is a plus, it helps with developing good form.

editplus all the way
woot
:)

My site (click sig) is coded with Notepad2, a freeware Notepad replacement with nice syntax highlighting, line numbering etc.

I did use Dreamweaver MX when I first started the site a couple of years ago, at which point I was a complete newbie, using tables for layouts etc (I feel so ashamed to say that :p), but it looked completely different back then. All the code for the new XHTML/CSS site (that's been up for at least a year now) is done in Notepad2. I like the fine control it gives me over everything. :)

Both

Jewelzz said:
As some of you know, I'm helping out a friend and trying to get a website up and running. She and I have a difference of opinion on how the coding gets or should get done.

I believe it's best to learn using Notepad then, if you prefer, switch to an editor. She disagrees lol.

My question ... How many of you who do your own sites, use Notepad? What would you say the percentage is, out of 100, use strictly Notepad?

Use Mozilla's built in editor and then use notepad for small changes and adjustments(link locations, file directories, etc.). The way i learned was with editors, that way i could learn all the good stuff, <br> etc. I knew nothing when i started so I used editors as teachers. But now I usual build with notepad, I use mozilla when I am feeling Lazy :p

I started out with adobe pagemill way back whem then migrated through the dreamweaver path and even (gasp) attempted to use drumbeat.

Now though I use editplus or Scintilla Editor for html/php(maybe soon oythin if I can ever figure out mod_python) and TopStyle pro 3 for css.

I think its easier to learn using a wysiwyg editor as you can do youy thing visually and see the the resulting html so you have a visual cue to help you when you come to decide you want to get your hands and feet into hand coding.

I would recommedn that way to anyone serious about learning hand coding at some point in their "career" path - be it for a job or just a hobby.

I do most of my coding in Dreamweaver. It allows me to see my changes almost instantly and upload them with the click of a button. I learned HTML when notepad was all there was. Anyone who doesn't use some type of program to do the easy stuff like set a backgroud color or setup tables or such is just wasting time IMO. Sure, I can do all of that by hand, but why? :)

beacuse very few people use tables these days :)

Once you specify how the page looks in css all you do is create content by hand.

Un4gIvEn1 said:
I do most of my coding in Dreamweaver. It allows me to see my changes almost instantly and upload them with the click of a button. I learned HTML when notepad was all there was. Anyone who doesn't use some type of program to do the easy stuff like set a backgroud color or setup tables or such is just wasting time IMO. Sure, I can do all of that by hand, but why? :)
Depends how fast you type I guess :) takes a second or two to type background-color:#FFFFFF;

I use UltraEdit for coding that only really needs a plain text editor. I do believe that there is nothing wrong with editors (I'm assuming you are referring to WYSIWYG editors). I have seen a lot of great sites using programs like Dreamweaver. They may not live up to some people's geeky expectations of standards and opinions on how things should be coded, but they are great looking sites and they work. In the end, your real audience is the end user, not the geeks who criticize. People who use Dreamweaver and do so with some dedication are not exactly dumb people. 8 out of the 10 designers I know use a combination of Photoshop, ImageReady, Dreamweaver, and a text editor for design and final presentation of the webpage.

vern said:
I do believe that there is nothing wrong with editors (I'm assuming you are referring to WYSIWYG editors). I have seen a lot of great sites using programs like Dreamweaver. They may not live up to some people's geeky expectations of standards and opinions on how things should be coded, but they are great looking sites and they work. In the end, your real audience is the end user, not the geeks who criticize. People who use Dreamweaver and do so with some dedication are not exactly dumb people. 8 out of the 10 designers I know use a combination of Photoshop, ImageReady, Dreamweaver, and a text editor for design and final presentation of the webpage.
Agree 100%. :)

NetRyder said:
My site (click sig) is coded with Notepad2, a freeware Notepad replacement with nice syntax highlighting, line numbering etc.

I did use Dreamweaver MX when I first started the site a couple of years ago, at which point I was a complete newbie, using tables for layouts etc (I feel so ashamed to say that :p), but it looked completely different back then. All the code for the new XHTML/CSS site (that's been up for at least a year now) is done in Notepad2. I like the fine control it gives me over everything. :)

Ahh, the good ol days of tables.

Mind you, i was worse than you.

I made my entire first site in Word 97 :p.

I now use SubEthaEdit which is a plain old text editor with line numbering, and syntax highlighting. I have not touched an app that generates code for me ever since i learned how to do it properly, and that was right after i stopped using Word 97, and played with an extremely old cracked Dreamweaver.

Notepad gets my vote :p

X-Istence said:
Ahh, the good ol days of tables.

Mind you, i was worse than you.

I made my entire first site in Word 97 :p.
Oh god, no.
rofl.gif

Notepad gets my vote :p
Yeah, I've tried a number of fancy text editors (even trial versions of non-free ones), but I like the simplicity of Notepad. That's the reason I was sold when I first saw Notepad2. It has the same simplicity that Notepad has, but just the essential features that I need for XHTML/CSS/PHP editing (I even used it to write assembly code last year :p) and nothing more.

For those of you who like Notepad, I'd highly recommend at least trying it out. You'll like it. It's just a tiny ~240K single file executable like Notepad (no installation necessary) and it's free, of course.
http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Edit: Hey, it's open-source now! :)

oooh Netryder I love you for ersuading me to try notepad2

Rectangular selection (Alt+Mouse) :D

I like the way Notepad2 works... but with Dreamweaver I just put it in code mode and when I am done I can click a button to preview and another button to upload. If Notepad2 did that it would be even better. Plus, Dreamweaver makes it easy to find your mistakes because it color codes items in "" and () and just about everything. If you don't close something it knows that. I can code in raw text, but why not use a helper if one's available?

LordOfLA said:
oooh Netryder I love you for ersuading me to try notepad2

Rectangular selection (Alt+Mouse) :D
No problems, man. I love that feature too. It can be so handy sometimes. :D

Un4gIvEn1 said:
I like the way Notepad2 works... but with Dreamweaver I just put it in code mode and when I am done I can click a button to preview and another button to upload. If Notepad2 did that it would be even better. Plus, Dreamweaver makes it easy to find your mistakes because it color codes items in "" and () and just about everything. If you don't close something it knows that. I can code in raw text, but why not use a helper if one's available?
I completely understand what you're saying about Dreamweaver. It's a really nice piece of software too...just depends on what you feel more comfortable using. Just to let you know though, Notepad2 supports syntax highlighting (color coding), the ability to find missing braces and all that good stuff too. Just play around with the menus for a little while and you'll discover lots of gems in there (like the rectangular selection feature mentioned above). :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back