IIS 6 question

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
We have a server here at the office that serves as a repository of all of our server information, docs, files, etc. A few years back I threw together a rather crude webpage that housed tech support numbers, Terminal Server Advanced Client, and other pertinent information related to our servers in the company. The only group that needs to access this information is the Domain Admins group. At one time I had the security set on this website so that non-members of the Domain Admin group would get prompted for a username, password, and domain when they tried to hit the page and could go no further. For some reason, that prompting has stopped and now any user on the domain can hit the page with no problem. Could anyone familiar with IIS 6 perhaps point me to some documentation that describes securing this website. Thanks in advance for any info.

gballard said:
We have a server here at the office that serves as a repository of all of our server information, docs, files, etc. A few years back I threw together a rather crude webpage that housed tech support numbers, Terminal Server Advanced Client, and other pertinent information related to our servers in the company. The only group that needs to access this information is the Domain Admins group. At one time I had the security set on this website so that non-members of the Domain Admin group would get prompted for a username, password, and domain when they tried to hit the page and could go no further. For some reason, that prompting has stopped and now any user on the domain can hit the page with no problem. Could anyone familiar with IIS 6 perhaps point me to some documentation that describes securing this website. Thanks in advance for any info.

I agree with the article listed above me, good post by him. Sounds like somehow things got messed up, and IIS reverted to Integrated Windows Authentication. (This would be why no one is being prompted for credentials)

I haven't read the article, but you can set permissions on the directory itself.

e.g. C:\Inetpub\wwwroot

Set permissions so only Domain Admins have access to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back