If your DRM software isn't selling, sue every one else.....

LordOfLA

Godlike!
This has got to be the greatest use of the DMCA yet :)

The likes of Microsoft and Apple usually love all the DRM they can get. In this case, however, Media Rights Technologies and its subsidiary BlueBeat.com said in a press release Thursday, the four software giants' failure to implement the MRT's X1 SeCure Recording Control software is a violation of the infamous Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

They claim that since SeCure has been proven affective against stream ripping by the RIAA and IFPI, it is literally a crime for the companies not to use it in their products.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/11/media_rights_letter/

(BTW: Who at mozilla thought it'd be a good idea to have ' and / as shortcut keys to quick find? I had to copy and paste those from notepad...)

Its a good thing, maybe idiotic lawsuits will change the DMCA.

I do think its an erroneous characterization to say Apple loves DRM as much as Microsoft though. Apple has used its pseudo-monopoly in the online music sect to leverage AGAINST the MAFIAA and remove DRM altogether. http://www.macrumors.com/2007/04/27/apple-notifies-partners-drm-free-music-and-music-videos-soon/ Whereas microsoft has done everything that the big entertainment companies have asked for as far as DRM.

Yeah Microsoft are the bad guys , you just remember that they are always the bad guys.

A California company that makes technology designed to prevent ripping of digital audio streams has accused Apple, Microsoft, RealNetworks and Adobe Systems of violating federal copyright law by "actively avoiding" use of its products.

Media Rights Technologies and its digital radio subsidiary BlueBeat.com said in a press release Thursday that it had issued cease and desist letters to the high-tech titans. It argues that the companies have manufactured billions of copies of Windows Vista, Adobe Flash Player, Real Player and Apple's iTunes and iPod "without regard for the DMCA or the rights of American intellectual property owners."

DMCA refers to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, a controversial 1998 law that generally makes it illegal to circumvent technological protection measures that control access to copyrighted works. The law says circumvent means "to descramble a scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work, or otherwise to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate or impair a technological measure, without the authority of the copyright owner."

http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-6183105.html

Thing is, they (Apple, MS, and others) are not creating products that circumvent or break the encryption in question in the first place, so they are not doing anything against the DMCA. So I am just waiting to see how this plays out!

I have a confession.

I can't install Itunes. Not that I can't download it, or install it, I just can't bring myself to do it, I keep hitting Cancel. I have had enough of this DRM bull****, and all the associated crap, I have downloaded music off MSN and paid for it, never complained, then that went away. Now to find another source I have to download and install a programm that pirates all my music and file settings, starts up with the OS, and another piece of **** that needs updating.

For the same pain why not go pirate? Get DRM free music files, can burn, copy and play them as many times as I like, they are usally decent enough files in quality.

They keep pushing, and by dammed..................

Steevo you raise a valid issue in the eyes of some, the restrictions DRM places on the end user.

LordOfLA the link I posted get's into a little more detial and in the eyes of some is a more creditable source

X-Istence your right its going to be interesting how this play's out

because I didn't see it, all I saw was the link the register

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back