If you get vista, when will you get it?

when will you get vista?

• Total voters

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey everyone, i think i know pretty much what will be the answers, but im still debating.
Will you get it when it comes out, and install it on ur current computer, or will u wait for a new machine?

Yeah but you only have Betas.
Will you get the real version as soon as it comes out?
Can you upgrade the betas? That would be cool.

Probably when it is no longer feasible to be running XP

The posters above, at least matt/nr - not sure about Enyo, and myself included, all have RTM builds of Vista. It doesn't come out for consumers until Jan 30th, but it's been available on Technet/MSDN for awhile now :D

*goes to vote for already running it*

I love it, and I'm never letting go :smoker:

see, there are two problems with me even wanting to try vista.
My machines are running good now, and i dont want to be bothered with changing over.
There is also the Pimp My Ride affect.
I don't want my computer to get re-upholstered without the "engine" running well. Thus, i think i will want new hardware when i go for the new OS.

Well you can get a pro of xp now for 120, then get free upgrade to vista business or home premium.
So you might want to consider that :)

/those of you running vista, what do you think makes running it worth while?

My choice for the poll was not up there.

1) When 99% of the app's are 64 BIT.
2) When SP2 is out and 99% of the bugs have been fixed.
3) When the price drops to what XP PRO is at now.
4) When I have a real reason to upgrade my hardware to support it.
5) When it has been around long enough for the NEW securtiy vulnerabiliies to be found and patched.
6) When the hardware suppliers care enough to make stable drivers available.

Technically, I already have it. Am I using it? Not yet. Not all of the programs I need and games I want are supported on it. Not to mention full release drivers that work well.

Yeah, but does that really surprise you still? This happens with every release of a new operating system. It takes time. You should know that, and not complain.

/those of you running vista, what do you think makes running it worth while?

Pretty much nothing.

It is XP with a moderate GUI overhaul. They have changed/added some wizards and annoying UAC for "security". It is quite clumsily thrown together and a lot of programs do not work or will require you to purchase a new version of them. If you want the Aero interface [the only real noticeable change other than removing a ton of configuration options or hiding them deep within some wizard] you will have to pay for one of the premium versions and quite possibly upgrade your PC for it to run smoothly.

Seriously, it brings pretty much nothing to the table. I would really like to hear from someone actually running Vista that thinks it is a major improvement and most importantly why because I've been running it for a few months now and really nothing impresses me. They did upgrade solitaire I guess, thats worth $400.

Pretty much nothing.

It is XP with a moderate GUI overhaul. They have changed/added some wizards and annoying UAC for "security". It is quite clumsily thrown together and a lot of programs do not work or will require you to purchase a new version of them. If you want the Aero interface [the only real noticeable change other than removing a ton of configuration options or hiding them deep within some wizard] you will have to pay for one of the premium versions and quite possibly upgrade your PC for it to run smoothly.

Seriously, it brings pretty much nothing to the table. I would really like to hear from someone actually running Vista that thinks it is a major improvement and most importantly why because I've been running it for a few months now and really nothing impresses me. They did upgrade solitaire I guess, thats worth $400.
Well I have made the upgrade, and I will chime in.

Obviously the biggest reason to upgrade is Security. The fact that the products that come with it, (Windows Defender, Firewall, UAC) are all pretty much configured to work for you out of the box is a HUGE improvement over XP. In XP, the firewall is only one way, whereas Vista blocks both in and out. Defender would have had to been downloaded, installed and configured, and UAC didn't exist. Protected mode for IE7 is the bomb, and unfortunately not available for XP (due to necessary file system priveleges that can't be made available), which essentially ties IE into a program running with much fewer rights than most others.

I welcome having Windows Update (or Microsoft Update) available via the Control Panel. This now means that there is no need to use a browser for it, and should cut down on installation problems.

Parental Controls is amazing. I haven't had much time to play with it, but I have already set it up and it's running at my parent-in-laws house, restricting time of Internet Access per the accont as well as blocking certain games on the PC during times when they would prefer their younger siblings doing homework. They didn't specifically request it, but I figured I would pitch it - it works like a charm and they are delighted. The addition of being able to read instant messages was very nice as well, and actually provides some peace of mind because they know their children are a bit more protected since they can review online activity and adjust as needed.

Another aspect I tend to like is performance. I think my machine, on the same hardware that I ran XP with, runs a bit snappier even compared to a fresh install of XP (else an argument could be made that my previous XP install needed a fresh start).

There are also tons of nifty features, I really have grown to like the Live Taskbar Thumbnails that give you a preview of whatever window/application/file you have minimized.

Indexed search is a nice addition - I know there are comparable programs out there, available on XP, that could do the same job (some of you will also probably say better), but I really like how this instant search performs. The ability to customize what is indexed is also a nice addition so you can control the constant thrasing your HD does.

The Start Menu is much cleaner, more organized and easier to navigate. One of my favorite parts of that design, if you actually miss clicking on the "orb" to the left of it, it will still pull up. Microsoft actually seems to be paying attention to what could have otherwise been a brutal design flaw.

From a traveler's perspective, I think it's neat you can display up to three different times for different locations you may care about, all without having to think about it :

winvista_rtm_5_26.jpg

I could go on and on, some will hate it and some will love it. From an end-user standpoint who may not be as up to snuff with computer technology, the quick sales pitch to upgrade is Security - period. You simply can't compare XP to Vista with regards to Out-of-the-box security that it comes with.

-edit-

Also, for those of you who want to know more, you should read the review that Paul T has been working on -

http://www.winsupersite.com/vista/

Information there is great, I can't wait for the next installment :)

I thought purple place was why it was $400... hmmm....

Anyway, I will have to say I haven't tested it but the ReadyBoost does sound like an interesting feature. I do like the new GUI, but I have to agree with the annoying 'security' pop ups. I have found that Vista will use some Windows XP drivers to opperate hardware which is somewhat disconcerting but also makes for somewhat of an easier change over on some machines with older integrated hardware. I'm still waiting to give the rest of my systems a go with Vista as I'm still not fully impressed with how it runs on my test laptop.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back