If you could live anywhere (in the US)

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
There is a long back story here that I won't get into. Also I don't have the option to live abroad so I had to include the in the US qualifier. That being said, if you could up and move someplace, where would it be? I know there are many qualifiers here (cost, distance, employment opportunities, etc) but I'm not looking for reality. Just locations, where and why would chose a particular city?

intervale new hampshire. my grandparents had a place there. it was so peaceful and quiet small town living. i miss it so much.

Virginia, well away from the Washington DC area. Option 2 would be Oregon along the coast. Vermont would be number 3, but at my age it's just waaay too cold.

Decision makers - mild 4 season climate, available work, reasonable cost of living, no dry seasons, no heavy air pollution, sufficient industry for job creation. Terrain that is not flat for hundreds of miles in every direction.

Hindsight being 20-20. I should have gone into a field other than engineering. Too much restriction on where I can find lucrative work.

Worst place to live - Wichita, Kansas. Limited jobs, horrible climate (100 summers, -20 winters, droughts, tornado's, etc.). Recreation is limited to drinking or going to church. Cost of living is so-so.
Nothing else within 400 miles.

I've lived in, or visited for several weeks, over 40 of the states. The one place that always brings a big smile when I remember it is Virginia. I get a smile every time I think about leaving Wichita too, but it's not the same thing...

In no particular order (other than the first entry):

Any place warmer (year-round) than northern Illinois
Suburb of Salt Lake City
Eastern Tennessee (in or near the mountains)
Western to Central North Carolina

This is a very generalized question...

My choices would be:

1) Texas ... Good jobs, GREAT largemouth bass fishing, decent cost of living...
2) Tennessee Decent Jobs, GREAT smallmouth fishing, GREAT cost of living once you get outside the larger cities... mild climate
3) NW Florida... decent job market, GREAT large mouth fishing, mild climate, short drive to New Orleans and beaches...

As you can see, all my choices are pointed towards my "hobbie"....

:D

Mike A!

Thanks for all the opinions. As of now, the only thing I know is within 2 years I'll be relocating. The wife will have several choices as to where she'll train at. We just don't know where yet. We do know they will be large cities or suburbs of large cities. She is fairly open, she knows it'll need to be a place where we both can work. The issue we're seeing is there are places she won't go that I'd love to go and vice versa.

I lived in Orlando for a year, she wants to but I can't see myself going back, traffic in Orlando sucks and the summers are brutal, winter was awesome though. She lived in Portland and hated it (which I understand is very very rare) and I've always wanted to try the pacific northwest.

I'm sick of winter, it's -30 right now with wind here in SD, so the idea of Phoenix appeals to me. She has flat out refused that. She has mentioned Kansas City and Denver in the past. She likes KC, I've never been and neither of us have been to Denver but we hear good things. Sazar said Austin which I hear is awesome, Alamo Drafthouse, good weather and as Patton Oswalt said... A little oasis in a sea of insanity (or something like that). If anyone else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks again.

Dallas,TX - somewhere near one of theplanet's datacentres then I'd hijack one of their fibre runs for awesome bandwidth :D

I'd also try Detroit or Chicago whichever one is by the lakes that way.

If I can include canada, I'd suggest Vancouver - almost as far west as you can go before you end up east :D

I would stay in NY, but move up into the Adirondacks if I could get a descent internet connection. It's so nice up there. Then I would move up to Alaska in the summer as it's gotten to hot in upstate NY in the summer. :(

Dallas,TX - somewhere near one of theplanet's datacentres then I'd hijack one of their fibre runs for awesome bandwidth :D

I'd also try Detroit or Chicago whichever one is by the lakes that way.

If I can include canada, I'd suggest Vancouver - almost as far west as you can go before you end up east :D

eww.. stay far away from detroit..

I agree, Detroit is a crime infested cesspool. I have family who live there and they are getting out. The jobless rate and the crime rate are sky rocketing like crazy.

Chicago is right on one of the Great Lakes.. and is west of NY :)

California.

It's expensive.

The weather is nice.

The people are self absorbed.

The babes are hot. (mostly)

Lots to do on the weekends.

California.

It's expensive.

The weather is nice.

The people are self absorbed.

The babes are hot. (mostly)

Lots to do on the weekends.

California is also bankrupt.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back