If this was yours,How would you hook up this hardware

Bucky Badger

OSNN Addict
I have

40GB HDD for data.
40GB HDD for Every day use with Win XP on it.
80GB HDD for Games with XP on it.

DVD ROM
DVD+-R/RW

and I have a controller card

I was thinking Data on the controller card,
Pri Master= Everyday use
Pri Slave= DVD ROM

Secondary Master= Games
Secondary Slave= DVD writer

any thoughts?

If its a raid card, i'd put the 40's as raid 0. and then 80 gig as primary master, dvdrw seconday master and dvdrom as secondary slave

i would put all my ide devices on the same channel and all atapi devices on the same channel if I could help it... that would give you the best performance...

if you then wanted to stripe or mirror or whatever else its an option as well... it would improve IDE performance to stripe your 40gb drives like dream said... but its your call...

i thought having the main drive + games drive on seperate channels would speed up seek times + transfering data? also the cd/dvd drived should be on seperate cables for ease of copying from one to outher?

they are not the same protocol heny... atapi v/s ide... atapi is more complicated...

also since optical drives are slower than hdd's this can impact performance when they are on the same channel... this is the main reason I don't keep my atapi's on the same channel as my ide's...

however in my system I have plenty of storage options :D so I don't really have a shortage of channels :cool:

Well could we combine Heny and sazar's ideas and go like this

Every day pri- master
dvdrom pri- slave

games sec- master

data controller card pri master
dvdrw controller card sec master

you will not notice a big drop in performance using ide/atapi on the same channel.. I suggested it as a best performance option...

controller cards generally support ide devices only therefore you will have to install all atapi devices on hte primary and/or secondary channel...

Bucky Badger said:
I have

40GB HDD for data.
40GB HDD for Every day use with Win XP on it.
80GB HDD for Games with XP on it.

DVD ROM
DVD+-R/RW

and I have a controller card

I was thinking Data on the controller card,
Pri Master= Everyday use
Pri Slave= DVD ROM

Secondary Master= Games
Secondary Slave= DVD writer

any thoughts?

Isn't it better to have the DVD writer as Primary slave for faster data transfer?

Sazar said:
i would put all my ide devices on the same channel and all atapi devices on the same channel if I could help it... that would give you the best performance...

maybe back in the days of 40 pin ide cables, you would be correct. todays bus cables and controllers, being 80 pin, they both get their own set, so as far as performace by separating atapi and ide drives, there is no gain.

I'd sell the 2 40's and the PCI card and buy a WD 120 gig for $58.

No more problem, Wait, that is what I did!

My setup

2 X IBM 30gigs in Raid O (onboard promise controller)
2 X IBM 40gigs storage on Primary
1 DVD-ROM Master and 1 DVDRW on Secondary.
Been setup like that for awhile now, I replaced my old CD-RW with the DVDRW. Been running fine since October 2003.

I've had the IBM HDs for 3 years now without any problems, but any day they are bound to die, I guess. Good thing I have an external HD for backup, in case they die.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back