If HDD is gone

Nismo83

OSNN AZN Addict
What will happen if one day u found ur HDD(inc. backup) is gone including your beloved mp3, jpg and ya document file?

I would cry the whole day and i would go krazie, thinking of getting all those stuffz back.

happened to me once, i just gave it to the manufacture and they gave me a new one will all my old stuff on it :)
good thing i still had warranty.

I'd shrug and go buy a mac, not the most efficient method, but it'd keep me happy/sane :D

It has happened to me before, more than once actually, first time was just data loss, so i re-installed windows downloaded an IRC client and i was happy for 5 minutes.
Second time the drive managed to corrupt beyond repair, so I managed to swap it (30gb) for a new 40gb drive :D

I would laugh, take out the 100+ CDrs that I have containing everything I have, mainly my music and photographs, all that matters, and if those were to dissapear, I would laugh still, and open my fire resistant safe ( no kidding ) and take out the 2nd backup CDr set I have there, and a small HDD with windows on it, a backup in case primary fails.

Originally posted by Nick M
I would laugh, take out the 100+ CDrs that I have containing everything I have, mainly my music and photographs, all that matters, and if those were to dissapear, I would laugh still, and open my fire resistant safe ( no kidding ) and take out the 2nd backup CDr set I have there, and a small HDD with windows on it, a backup in case primary fails.

You forgot the evil laugh :p

Originally posted by Benny
You forgot the evil laugh :p

That's right.

* lowers head, looks directly ahead and gives off an evil laugh *

CDrs, one thing I can not get enough of.

Mr. Prepared? lol, only with my computer and hiking/survival tools, that's it. Oh, and batteries :p

I've been lucky so far. I've had failures like this twice before: once in 1995 with a FAT drive on Windows 95 and the other just recently on my NTFS backup hard drive. With the FAT drive, I lost maybe about 10% of what I could have lost. All I had to do then was pop in my boot disk and manually copy stuff. I had to know the actual paths in DOS, because a "dir" command would lead to a lock-up when it would list the amount of "free space" on the drive. After enough grappling, this is when I picked up my philosophy on a second hard drive for all of your data that can't be replaced...

...but then it was my second hard drive that crashed less than a month ago! But this time it was even simpler than the last time, and I didn't lose anything. I just bought a recovery program, and transferred all my data onto my system drive. Then, once I installed my new drive, I transferred it all back. This time, I learned never to accept a refurbished drive (lasted a little over a year, although I did get it for free).

lol...

Melon

Because I am not thick enough to not make a backup of them to my backup partition!

hahahaha or mwuahahahah

My brother accidentally formated the main and only drive once. I allmost killed him. Thank god I managed to use Lost & Found to bring most of it back. The important stuff anyway.

I want to buy an efficient backup solution but I just can't afford it... :(

lucky you Zedric.. the last time i format my drive(just the main partition and reinstall XP) my sister insisted on helping me with it. So i let her do so. I was watching her doing it and just in the installation blue screen (where we select a partition to install the OS) she wrongly selected my backup partition and luckily i was fast enough to prevent her from pressing the button for quick format using NTFS file system.

Phew...That was close and that was the first and the last time i let my sister touch those important stuff and that's include BIOS where i set a administrator password for it.

i would rip it apart take out the platters buy an identical one screw it back on the new drive put it back together and boot up like nothing ever happend

trust me ive seen it done:cool:

well I really need to make another backup, maybe I should do that today....humm. But I do have a S.M.A.R.T. drive monitor. Not sure how well that really works. It is built into my bios. But yea, I would ticked if it died right now........I think I will go and make that backup.

I would pull the extra 40GB Samsung drive I have stored in my closet and plug it into place of my crashed resource drive.

I mirror my resource drive with my media, projects and themes every week then store it away from my computer - call it paranoia, but it's saved my butt a few times.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back