Iexplorer.exe Crash

S

S1RE

This is the wieredest issue I've ever seen with Internet Explorer but I was on my way to update my Daemon Tools to the newer release and when I do a search on google for "daemon tools" it starts to load another page and then just totally locks up. I'm then forced to use the Task Manager to force kill IEXPLORER.EXE.

I also notice that WINWORD.EXE is running on Windows Startup but it is not in the Startup folder, so I have no clue how it starts all by itself. If I'm not mistaken that is Microsoft Word.

Thanks for all replies in advance...

You are correct that WINWORD.EXE is MS Word. If it is not in your Startup folder then check your startup list using msconfig. If it shows up there, then untick the box and that should take care of it.

As for your IE issue... it could be a number of things. Does this happen only with Google itself, or have you experienced it under other circumstances? What version of IE are you running?

Hey muzikool I'd like to minimize all the stupid shiz running so is there a list of exe's that windows must have to run or to run stable.

I also do not see WINWORD.EXE in the startup tab at all.

Post a screenshot of your startup items, I'll let you know what you can disable. :)

msconfig.jpg

Well, generally the rule is this: if it doesn't come from C:\Windows\system32, then it doesn't have to run at startup. This rule doesn't always apply though, because it appears that NeroCheck resides there, but you don't have to have that load. Simply disable what you don't use/need to start up. For example, if you don't use DirectCD, then untick the box next to it. Things you don't want to disable are pretty much limited to antivirus and firewall apps, I would leave those things running. ;)

There is a website somewhere that lists many common startup items, telling you what they are and whether or not it is safe to disable them. I will look for it when I get a chance and post it here.

About MS Word... is it still running at startup? A couple of suggestions: 1) be sure that it is not running when you shutdown/restart your computer 2) browse your start menu (right-click Start button and hit Explore), go into the startup folder, and make sure that Word isn't hidden for some reason. You'll have to show hidden files and folders (Tools->Folder Options->View tab). Hope this helps. :)

I just checked the startup folder with hidden files showing and all i saw was powermenu and desktop.ini and I'm gonna disable alot of that stuff b/c I don't use it myself. thanx

There are a couple things in my startup list that I'm not sure of that isn't even listed on that website so I disabled them anyway like CTHELPER and QTTASK.

After I made the changes and rebooted I was confronted with a message that said because I made changes this message and msconfig will be started on each boot.

Is this normal or what b/c I doubt people like me would like uneccesary items coming up at the startup like that message, thats the whole reason I disabled that crap isn't it ? LOL

Its normal, It happens to me too. There should be an option to not display this on the future.

yeah but I've learned from past experiences not to click those unless you know what your doing because you may never see that dialogue again ;)

Are there any circumstances where I may need to re-tick an item in the startup tab?

S1RE, I know for a fact that you can disable QTTASK (it's for Quicktime), but I'm not sure what CTHELPER is (anything with 'helper' in it is usually safe to disable though). As for the message... it is normal to see that message once after you make changes in msconfig, but you shouldn't see it again if you clicked 'OK.' The message is a bit confusing and can lead you to think that it will continue to show up, but it won't.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back