iexplorer.exe - Application Hang after closing program

KM1

OSNN Newbie
I am posting this to see if anyone else out there has come across this issue in IE with Windows XP SP2. I have posted on Microsoft’s site in the communities section under the IE and XP areas. Before I explain the error let me say that I am not able to reproduce it with any consistency. The IE error has only happened twice in the last month and it only occurred on closing out of the program. Not while surfing. I also am able to immediately go back on and surf the net without any problems and without having to restart.

I cannot seem to pin down whether I am accessing a site or program that caused this error, like sites using Adobe or Sun Java (both of which are used a lot when I’m on line) or not. I do know that the second time it happened I had been on sites that used both Adobe and Sun Java, both of which have plug ins active in IE. However, the first time it occurred, I have no idea if these programs or plug ins where activated.

The only recent downloads are my updates to Mcafee and Adobe along with the Vx2 cleaner for Adaware (it found nothing) and CCleaner (which I have yet to run)I only surf quality sites like Lavasoft, Microsoft, CCleaner, some University Homepages and athletic sites, along with informational questions I type in Google. I have found this error listed in Microsoft communities where people have followed the suggestions of the MVP’s regarding Spyware & Adaware, Winsock possibilities, and even uninstalling and reinstalling all of Windows. Nothing has corrected these random issues and some users are very frustrated. Most of them, if not all found this error either using XP w/sp2 or found it happening after updating to XPsp2. Upon contacting Microsoft Tech Support, they find little info using the exact numbers in the error below. Their recomindation, uninstall & reinstall OS and IE, corrupt IE, I am not convinced this is the issue. Below is the detailed description this error.

Upon exiting IE I have gotten an error which pops up after IE closes. It reads:

iexplore.exe – Application Error

The instructions at 0x017d494e referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be “read”.

Click on OK to terminate the program.

Now, once I click OK, the box closes and I am back to normal. Can go right back on the web with no difficulty and surf as before. No need to restart or anything. As I said, I have only gotten this error twice in the last month. In fact only twice that I can remember, system is only 4 months old. The only other IE problem I have had, may be relative here, was a IE application hang while surfing. Upon viewing this error in the event viewer I found two Logs which read: 1. Hanging app iexplore.exe hang module hugapp v 0.0.0.0 hang address 0x00000000 / 2. Fault Bucket 126637809.

Just so you know, I have already tested the Ram in my computer with the help of Dell Tech Support. Also, I am Running Windows XP sp2 fully updated, have a Linksys router w/good hardware firewall, running Mcafee firewall plus, Mcafee viruscan (active), and Mcafee privacy service which contains add blocker, popup blocker, and web bug blocker. All software is kept up-to-date and checked daily. I also run Adaware SE w/Vx2 cleaner add-in. I run all scans religiously and have never found anything, not even a cookie remaining. When I am done using the net I always delete cookies, temp internet files (on & offline), history, SSL certificates, and all auto completes. Use only AOL for email and some surfing, no other email accounts, and utilize all security software that AOL has on their server for this purpose (No AOL security software on my system). I am currently debating whether to get another spyware software because I have yet to find anything on my system with Mcafee or Adaware and don’t want to add another possible software conflict. Surfing habits listed above.

Sorry for the long post. However, any information regarding the IE v6 error would be appreciated.

Thanks.

KM1

Some time in the last year IE started getting unstable. It will hang, lock up, or crash to desktop. It's not just you. M$ has caused problems with their "security patches".

Live with it or try Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, etc. if it is too annoying. Though they will have their own problems.

Before LordOfLA tells you you're ram might be bad, I'll tell you... Even though I highly doubt it's the problem.

But just in case, check the following:

1. Look if the memory address referenced is always the same or if it changes everytime. If it's NOT changing all the time, might be worth doing a memtest using a bootable Knoppix CD (www.knoppix.com, burn the ISO then just type memtest at the boot: prompt, it will take up to 40 minutes to run but will check all of your RAM with different tests).

2. If the mem is fine, it's only an application error, so you can try the following:
a. Install and run MS Antispyware using a full scan.
b. Run CCleaner (doesn't affect IE that much but can't hurt)
c. Run HijackThis
d. Run IEFix ... This will fix most IE application problems.
e. Go do a full Windows Update.

If all that fails, just to check if it's your Windows profile that is messed up, try to create a new windows user with full admin rights and login with it. This will create a brand new Windows profile with the defaults. Try to reproduce the problem. If it doesn't happen again, keep that profile and transfer the stuff from your old to your new.

LeeJend,

Thanks for the response. So Microsoft Tech Support's suggestion to Uninstall OS and IE is unfounded. That was my impression as well.

So, intermitent errors, like the one I got on closing IE, are just an inherent part of working with todays software and not necessarily an indication of Vrus, Spyware or Addware activity?????

What is your feeling on the programs running for spyware? Do I really need anymore if Adaware SE does not find anything? I know Mcafee scans for some through its viruscan as well. I have also run the free scan from Webroots Spy Sweeper and it has not found anything either, but this is their free scanner not their program.

Anyone else have opinions????

Also, I noticed on this site that IE is blocking something. What would be on a forum like this that IE would find necessary to block through its security settings. This is not the pop up blocker but the site blocker through security in IE???? The site it is blocking is www.neowin.net, cookies from this site, and it blocks them as soon as I enter this site.

KM1

Ok, I just reread your post to make sure I got everything you did right. What kind of mem test did the Dell tech Support guys have you do exactly? Just curious...

Also, installing another spyware scanner won't conflict it's actually recommended. Just turn off the Adaware real-time shields and same for MS Antispyware (which I prefer among all, it just kicks ass), and make sure you run Hijackthis as well. The IEFix should take care of any data corruption.

Another thing I thought about is this:

If creating a new userprofile works, it could be the something bad in the hidden content.ie5 folder or a corrupted index.dat file. You can delete that from another user account using the command prompt. Here's how I do it:

1. Login with another user account.
2. Open a command prompt and do the following commands:

Code:
(providing you're in your profile folder when you open the prompt)

cd..
cd [b]your_old_user_profile
[/b]cd Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
dir
dir /ad
del index.dat
for /d %i in (*) do @rd /s /q %i

That will clear the entire folder. the fancy For loop is just a quick way to delete all the funky folders without having to copy/paste the names one by one...

Then just log back in with your previous user and try to reproduce the problem again.

Hey, just had a IE hang happen again while I was trying to edit my last post. CPU activity spiked to 100% and held. Could not submit my reply. Upon exiting the MS window came up saying they wanted me to send a report to microsoft, which I did. Gave me a link for more information. I went their, not a lot of help. Just said they will use this info to analyze error. Then the general information regarding Updating Windows XP, Office, Spyware checks, etc.

In my event viewer I find the exact 2 messages, that occurred a week ago, that I listed in my post. (This is different then the error on close issue). Can't help thinking the error and the hang problem I am having are somehow related. Here again is the Hang Error listed in my Event Viewer:

1. Hanging app iexplore.exe hang module hugapp v 0.0.0.0 hang address 0x00000000

2. Fault Bucket 126637809.
As before. Exit. CPU usage back to normal, and able to go back and edit the site. Is there something unstable about the "submit" button when you edit a post????

What is going on????

Any further info appreciated.

KM

I tend to think it is the site(s) themselves that you are going to that have a problem, some software like Mcafee which is known to cause problems in certain system setups or maybe some core IE files are messed up.

Could be site(s) as these problems sometimes occur when variant arrays make use of the split function. This method tends to throw access violations if one element of zero length is returned and you consequently try to access it.

Could be Mcafee as you said it has ad blocker, popup blocker, and web bug blocker. If using the blockers in Mcafee have you disabled the pop up blocker in IE?

If you have not tried it already, try disabling the Mcafee blockers then go to the sites that give you problems. May want to also try disabling add-ons in IE (tools, manage Add-ons) to see if this helps narrow down a cause.

May want to try disabling all add-ons then go to the sites that make IE crash and if they are ok then you know it is one of your add-ons. Then enable add-ons one at a time until you find the one(s) that makes IE crash.

You can reinstall/repair IE with IEFix if you think maybe IE is messed up in some way.

Xtweaker,

Thanks for the response. The test that Dell techs ran came from pressing F11 on a reboot. Special tests in Windows I think or that Dell has on system to check hardware. All tests of ram normal.

I have run CCleaner several times today already.

Did you read my last post. Just had an IE hang. Now 2 hangs and 2 IE errors in a month. 3 in the last week. HMMMM something is fishy.

Hey, that idea about a corrupt IE5 file might be a possibility. I think I read somewhere that when you delete the temp files using the options in IE. You know, Delete files with the check box for off line content. That you can corrupt the IE5 file. Is this true. Before CCleaner, which I installed recently, I would do this daily, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. Did not know this would cause a problem.

So, how exactly do I delete this folder. And which one is it, Content IE5, history IE5, etc. There are several of them when I do a search. What else should be deleted based on the way I was cleaning my cookies, Temp files, history, etc.

I will need exact instructions, I am probably not as knowledgable as others on this site.

KM1

American Zombie

The error and the recent hang are not consistent enough for me to trouble shoot. Since 99% of the time everything is working fine. Do not know what else to do.

KM1

KM1 said:
Xtweaker,

Thanks for the response. The test that Dell techs ran came from pressing F11 on a reboot. Special tests in Windows I think or that Dell has on system to check hardware. All tests of ram normal.

I have run CCleaner several times today already.

Did you read my last post. Just had an IE hang. Now 2 hangs and 2 IE errors in a month. 3 in the last week. HMMMM something is fishy.

Hey, that idea about a corrupt IE5 file might be a possibility. I think I read somewhere that when you delete the temp files using the options in IE. You know, Delete files with the check box for off line content. That you can corrupt the IE5 file. Is this true. Before CCleaner, which I installed recently, I would do this daily, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. Did not know this would cause a problem.

So, how exactly do I delete this folder. And which one is it, Content IE5, history IE5, etc. There are several of them when I do a search. What else should be deleted based on the way I was cleaning my cookies, Temp files, history, etc.

I will need exact instructions, I am probably not as knowledgable as others on this site.

KM1

If you know how to login with another user, and how to open a command prompt (Start/Run, then type cmd), just follow the set of commands I put for you, that IS the exact instructions. Don't try to do it using the GUI, it's a waste of time.

The folder I'm talking about is hidden, so you need toknow where it is to get to it using the gui cause you won't see it because of the desktop.ini file in Temporary Internet Files that make that folder system AND hidden.

The path is as follow: %userprofile%\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5

In that folder, there's more hidden stuff... A bunch of folders with randomly generated names, and a file called index.dat.

The way I understand it, IE's temp files work like the File Table on a Hard Disk Drive... The index.dat points to the files within the space allocated for IE, which is what those weird folders are. When you clear the temp files from the Internet Options, all it does is reset the index.dat file to tell IE "that space is empty, you can use it now if you need it"... Problem is the actual files aren't deleted, and if that index gets corrupted or has invalid pointers in it, IE can crash or just not give you the right file in return.

Another thing I JUST thought about is your prefetch files....

Windows XP has Application Prefetching enabled by default. The prefetch folder is located at %systemroot%\prefetch. Try deleting everything in there.

You can also disable application prefetching all together in the registry.

The key to edit is this one: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

In there, edit EnablePrefetcher and change the value to 2.

This will keep the boot prefetch but disable the application prefetch.

Prefetching is where Windows caches the application code needed to start a specific program so that it opens faster next time you use it. Over time that folder can get corrupted (even personally saw Spyware nest in there), or just get too full. All of those files load with Windows when it starts, and slows it down a lot when you have too many.

Just another thing to look for... ;) Hope that helps.

Doesn't CCleaner clean the Content IE5 and the index.dat folder in it as well as teh Prefetch file folder??

KM1

KM1 said:
Doesn't CCleaner clean the Content IE5 and the index.dat folder in it as well as teh Prefetch file folder??

KM1
Actually you're right, I think it does... never hurt to check by hand though. Also, it doesn't delete ALL of the prefetch data, just the OLD one as the option says in the checkable list.

So then if I use CCcleaner, which I have at least 3 times today alone trying to search for a solution to this, I mean these Error and Hang. Then I do not need to do the other options you gave regarding the Content IE5 and the index.dat file within it correct?

Also, on my most recent hang, when trying to edit my post, did my CPU usage go to 100% and hang there until I excited IE. Is this indicative of something wrong or normal when a program like IE hangs with no stop.

Lastly, what is GUI mean???

GUI = Graphical User Interface

Thought about something else too... The Downloaded Program Files (Where all the activex applets go)... You could have a bad activex that is crashing IE when you close it.

Check your PM's I have an idea.

Tweaker,

I am not comfortable with doing this. Will keep searching for help to this issue. Just weird that I got a hang while trying to edit a post for the original Error upon closing IE that started this thread. Now 2 errors and 2 hangs in IE in 2 weeks. Of course I am all over the web on this trying to find someone who has had this same experience. In Microsofts Communities under IE several people have gotten these same hangs with no help, accept for "get ride of spyware". Some have tried all suggestions with no result. The Error on close issue, same thing, frustration for many, tried suggestions, "get ride of spyware", no result. I think there is something more to this and SP2 but don't know. Well thanks for your help so far.

KM1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back