IEEE Standard 801.11

Utsav Prabhu

OSNN Newbie
Hi All,
Could you please help me out? I need as much info on IEEE standard 801.11 as i can get my hands on within this week. I've been challenged to give a small lecture on this standard on sunday, and i have no clue about it:dead: , nor could i find much info on the web. Please send me information... even a helpful link will do. Thanks.

Utsav Prabhu said:
Hi All,
Could you please help me out? I need as much info on IEEE standard 801.11 as i can get my hands on within this week. I've been challenged to give a small lecture on this standard on sunday, and i have no clue about it:dead: , nor could i find much info on the web. Please send me information... even a helpful link will do. Thanks.
welcome to this board utsav pabhu!

in this case, and I never give the following advice, cause I think in most cases, we are better then google for answers to tech questions, but in this situation, google is really gonna help you much more then we will...if you want to approach from an interesting point of view, search google for "war chalking", and also search for "hot spots"

that'll give you some interesting perspective

after you do that, search for "how to secure wirelss network" which will give you solutions to present from the perspective of the first two searches.

you've got tons of material to choose from

Can I be an ignoramus and ask whether this post was meant to be 802.11 for the standards reference?

That would prmpt the question of whether the B and G comparison and reasoning is a subject deserving attention also - If I am wrong and displaying an ignorance of standards numbers a linkie to what this standard actually is would be greast! That way I can educate myself.... ;)

Can I be an ignoramus and ask whether this post was meant to be 802.11 for the standards reference?

good point...I speedread his post, and my response was for 802, not 801

I don't know anything about 801

801.11 is the original standard for wireless LANs, developed in the late 1980s. 801.11, however, took forever to adopt, so, eventually, the successor to it, 802.11, came out. The main difference between 801.11 and 802.11 is that the latter includes support for infrared networking (although it is rarely used) and mobile networking (although the original 802.11 does not support this). In spite of all that, though, 802.11 supports higher bandwidth rates; hence, we've got 802.11b (11 Mbps, 2.4 GHz), 802.11a (54 Mbps, 5.5 GHz [I believe]), and 802.11g (54 Mbps, 2.4 GHz).

In other words, 801.11 is the IEEE standard that kicked wireless networking off, even if it became obsolete faster than it could be implemented.

Melon

melon said:
801.11 is the original standard for wireless LANs, developed in the late 1980s. 801.11, however, took forever to adopt, so, eventually, the successor to it, 802.11, came out. The main difference between 801.11 and 802.11 is that the latter includes support for infrared networking (although it is rarely used) and mobile networking (although the original 802.11 does not support this). In spite of all that, though, 802.11 supports higher bandwidth rates; hence, we've got 802.11b (11 Mbps, 2.4 GHz), 802.11a (54 Mbps, 5.5 GHz [I believe]), and 802.11g (54 Mbps, 2.4 GHz).

In other words, 801.11 is the IEEE standard that kicked wireless networking off, even if it became obsolete faster than it could be implemented.

Melon
nice post, rep coming

melon said:

Melon

Actually, the entire 801 standard went out the door as well :laugh:. I'm still waiting on 802.11e and 802.11i. I wish that a standard would come out to combine "e" and "i" into one standard (call it 802.11j) since I want the QoS control of "e" with the AES encryption of "i."

melon said:

Melon
Thanks a lot... this sort of clears things up a bit... all i could find online was stuff about 802.11... nevertheless, i still need to know more about 801.11... if you know any more details about it, then please tell me... any links will be helpful... if you have any pdf files regarding this then please send them to my email address... utsavprabhu@gmail.com

Thanks guys... got enough to start on... i know where to go next time i need info, now.

Reg said:
Actually, the entire 801 standard went out the door as well :laugh:. I'm still waiting on 802.11e and 802.11i. I wish that a standard would come out to combine "e" and "i" into one standard (call it 802.11j) since I want the QoS control of "e" with the AES encryption of "i."
What about 802.11n? I thought this was set to follow-up from 802.11g? Are 802.11e and 802.11i set to supercede 802.11n, even though it's not out?

Reg said:
802.11q :D you know it sounds the best :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back