IE7 update problems

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political Access
IE7BETA3-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe has been sitting on my desktop for some time now. I haven't really had the chance to update since beta2, or maybe its just because I am lazy. Now, before we begin I want you all to know I am running a legit copy of windows(got the pretty little key and all).
When I went to update IE7 beta2 the other morning around 3ish, it said that Internet explorer had already been installed and that I would need to go into add/remove programs blah blah. So I did that and I didn't see any sign of IE7 so I did the most illogical thing I could do, extract the files from IE7BETA3-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe and replace the ones in my IE7 folder. At 3am this sounded like a wonderful idea, so I gave myself a pat on the back and thought of how much of a genius I was. Then I ran into a problem. I was out of cookies and milk, after resolving that I returned to my computer to find that Internet explorer no longer worked and the cookies I had fetched were stale; How could my life get any worse? So then, I will leave it to you young folks to help me solve this little problem I have created for myself. Thanks in advance
:)

Last edited:
Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 appeared as a Windows Update (Add/Remove Programs, check "Show updates").

Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 appears as a program in the list.

Anyway, if you are unable to remove the program successfully I would install Windows Installer Clean Up. Use it to clean up what is left of IE7 Beta 2. Then install Beta 3.

Its not showing up on the list :( Is there a way to delete the reg key so it doesnt show as installed?

Last edited:
Maybe this will help?

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
  1. Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
  2. Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
  3. Check “Show Updates” at the top of the dialog box.
  4. Scroll down the list to “Windows XP – Software Updates,” select “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2Preview,” and then click "Change/Remove."
If "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview" does not exist, run %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. You need to have "view hidden folders" enabled. %windir% is your Windows installation directory, which is normally 'C:\Windows' on most systems.

Maybe this will help?

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
  1. Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
  2. Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
  3. Check “Show Updates” at the top of the dialog box.
  4. Scroll down the list to “Windows XP – Software Updates,” select “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2Preview,” and then click "Change/Remove."
If "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview" does not exist, run %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. You need to have "view hidden folders" enabled. %windir% is your Windows installation directory, which is normally 'C:\Windows' on most systems.
That did it :D I didnt have the box checked for update

<--noob

Thanks all, reps comin your way

Cool man, glad you got it fixed :)

The Check to Show Updates usually does the trick ;)

*cough* Don't take credit for that idea Derek!

XP can be a bugger with that sometimes, as it took me a while to figure out why the IE 7 beta 2 wasn't showing in the list when I came to uninstall it to put on IE 7 beta 3.

god damn noobs i'm tired of these one post wonders.... :) haha

Sorry man, haven't been feeling well the last few days :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back