IE Temporary Internet File Setting

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
What is the optimum temporary internet file setting? When I installed xp on a 20 gb machines at work it set it to 600 something. I use 100 Mb on my home machine.

I don't know that there is necessarily an optimum setting. If you use your history a lot, then you would want to set it higher than you would if you didn't use your history. Unless you use your history a lot, I would say that 600MB is plenty.

I keep mine at about 50mb, but then I am not an IE user, so that is fine for me. I think I have Mozilla set to 50mb as well actually

personally, I don't think anyone should be emptying these files by wrote.

these files speed you up on the internet, no matter how fast your connection is.

unless you have a security issue, leave these files on the disc.

doesn't have to be too big, say three days of sUrfing worth, or more.

and as far as emptying the file reguilarly, I think this is the same as taking an anti biotic when you aren't sick.
'
if you think you are having a browser issue, go ahead and purge these files to see if this resolves your issue.

but to just remove them for the purpose of housecleaning doesn't make alot of sense to me.

so, as far as deleting every shut down, and as far as the ram disc for your temp files;

I really don't get this either oif these ideas...you need to repopulate the file every time you boot, so why bother with a temporary internet file at all?

if this is your preferance, just set the temp fileto 0, and have the same thing going on, without any wasted writing to disc

Setting the temporary internet files to 0 will certainly cause problems. You won't be able to save pictures in the proper file format, you won't be able to view the source code and most likely there will be problems with downloads.

Guess everything depends on the individual surfing habits. If you tend to often visit sites only one time it makes sense to clear out items you will never use again from time to time. Also IE likes to have some free space in the cache for some features to work.

Don't think you can gain anything from setting the cache size too low, unless you are very limited in disk space. Mine is set to 614 MB at the moment. Don't clear it at shutdown but manually every two or three days. Like to grab things out of there later, pics, movies or things you can't save in IE like swf files.

Setting the temporary internet files to 0 will certainly cause problems. You won't be able to save pictures in the proper file format, you won't be able to view the source code and most likely there will be problems with downloads.

heh...I didn't even realize a zero setting would cause an issue

Guess everything depends on the individual surfing habits. If you tend to often visit sites only one time it makes sense to clear out items you will never use again from time to time.

even this dosn't make any sense, since if you set the file a proper size, the file will purge old dat first...I really don't get the idea of emptying the file unkless there is some kind of issue you are tryting to resolve.

Also IE likes to have some free space in the cache for some features to work....ya

Don't think you can gain anything from setting the cache size too low, unless you are very limited in disk space.

agreed

Don't clear it at shutdown but manually every two or three days..

but why yoyo?

if you're not having an issue, just leave it be...you never know what you might need that might be in there, plus, of you visit the same site, your gifs, pcis, everything will come in faster.

I don't understand clearing these files every few days as a matter of maintanance

I think your size is a good one, and the older info in the file will automatically purge as it needs to be replaced.

Like to grab things out of there later, pics, movies or things you can't save in IE like swf files

I have often went to get something that I wanted, and found that my file was too small to still retain what I wanted.

when this happpened, of course I set a new and higher minimum.

I think clearing the file as a matter of mnaintanance was something that needed to be done with older systems, and like so many other rituals, is just a habit people are happy bringing forward.

yoyo, give it a shot leaving the files on the box.

I have yet to have an issue on these newer systems

Ah, see i myself would like to have a huge internet cache, but then on reboot have it deleted, this way for the remainder of the time i am surfing the web, it has the cache, setting it to 0 will redownload every single pic one by one, even if it was downloaded before.

IE not always purges old items, at least not reliably. Suddenly you notice when trying to save a jpg file the save dialog says untitled.bmp or you can't download zip files any longer. You look around and notice that you have no more space in the cache. To prevent this I clear TIFs from time to time. Agree that it is not absolutely necessary in most cases.

ok, now i understand

you arfe saying that if the file is full, ie needs some empty space to work, and it's noit finding it.

I'll tell you I have heard this before, but I have not had an issue persponally.

I see what you are saying though, if this is going to happen at all, you don't want to take the chance that you get the issue at the wrong moment, so you avoid the possibility

now I get it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back