IE Pop-ups

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
I've been using Mozilla but my daughter refuses to switch, she uses IE.

I just did a clean install of XP. The 1st flippin thing she goes to install is Grokster (grrrr). Now my problem...

If she stays logged on over night, when I get up in the morning there are several IE windows open, all pop-up ads. She doesn't have anything running when she's goes to bed except NAV and NIS, Grokster has been uninstalled (and it still happens), I've run Ad-Aware (found 17 items that have all been deleted). This only happens on her desktop, any ideas, suggestions? I don't want to reinstall XP again :(

I'm running XP Pro

Someone else talked about this last week. If you run Ad-aware it should fix your problem.

As I already stated, I ran Ad-Aware and it hasn't fixed the problem. The computer has been rebooted umpteen times since then as she's having problems loading her stupid game :mad:

Kids!!! They just don't listen when you say 'leave it, I'll take care of it when I get home or over the weekend' "mad"

Jewelzz - just a stab in the dark - woudl SpyBot help if ya ran it???

Isn't spybot the same thing as Ad-Aware? That was the impression I got when everyone was upset that Lavasoft wasn't supporting Ad-Aware 5.x any longer.

Hehe, sorry I just woke up and was still drowsy. If you run 'msconfig' from the run command box, is there anything under the 'Startup' tab or maybe the 'Services' tab that looks suspicious?

Originally posted by samwisefoxburr
Hehe, sorry I just woke up and was still drowsy. If you run 'msconfig' from the run command box, is there anything under the 'Startup' tab or maybe the 'Services' tab that looks suspicious?
Dunno samwisefoxburr. I'm still at work but will look at that when I get home.

Spy Bot Search and Destroy and AdAware are different programs and depending on who you talk to - results in which is best. It can't hurt to run it:

Download here

Thanx damnyank, I'll download and try it tonight when I get home.

Hipster, I'm using Adshield with IE.

If it is a fresh install you could try repairing IE. It might remove whatever is going on.

Try this first>
Start/Run/regsvr32 urlmon.dll

then try>
MS

Reinstall Grokster. Uninstall Gator, Offer Companion, SaveNow, and Grokster Ads Support. Then Uninstall Grokster. Run Ad-Aware to get rid of the junk it couldn't find.
Might want to check C:\Program Files\Common Files for spyware junk too.

Thanx Hipster. I'll try those tonight if I'm not too tired :huh:

download the zip I have attached.

open it, run it.

take a look at what it finds, and delete wht you don't like.

I know dy is gonna ask what this is.

it's called highjack this.

it finds all the extensions on your browser, and removes them as you chosse

Originally posted by Jewelzz
I've been using Mozilla but my daughter refuses to switch, she uses IE.

I just did a clean install of XP. The 1st flippin thing she goes to install is Grokster (grrrr). Now my problem...

If she stays logged on over night, when I get up in the morning there are several IE windows open, all pop-up ads. She doesn't have anything running when she's goes to bed except NAV and NIS, Grokster has been uninstalled (and it still happens), I've run Ad-Aware (found 17 items that have all been deleted). This only happens on her desktop, any ideas, suggestions? I don't want to reinstall XP again :(

I'm running XP Pro

So Speedy_B finally brainwashed you? :p

Heh, she was standing behind me "How did we get that?" DOH!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back