IE is acting up.. please help..

a dreams forever

OSNN Addict
I set my open page to about:blank.. and when I open IE it goes to some annoying search page.. but it still says about:blank.. I go back in the options and theres a space in front of about:blank.. so I switch it back to about:blank.. open a new browser.. back to the search page.. I used hijackthis and saw the problem.. heres the log..

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 6:39:38 PM, on 3/12/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

O1 - Hosts: 213.159.117.235 auto.search.msn.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - Startup: CoolMon.lnk = C:\Program Files\CoolMon\CoolMon.exe
O4 - Startup: Rainlendar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Rainlendar\Rainlendar.exe
O4 - Startup: WKeyKill.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O19 - User stylesheet: c:\windows\java\my.css

now.. I know its the first thing.. O1 - Hosts: 213.159.117.235 auto.search.msn.com.. I select fixed checked.. and then i scan it again.. and its gone.. but when I open another window.. the search page COMES BACK.. then I scan again.. and its there again.. wtf do I do? please help..

I had this... Damn thing.. No idea how it came about and couldn't get rid of it (even through removing spyware), so I formatted and restored my machine.

I had it before.. but all I did was run hijackthis and it got rid of it.. now it isnt doing anything.. there has to be a way to get rid of it..

Try opening up your HOSTS file to see if auto.search.msn.com is in there. If it is, try deleting it and saving. If the problem still occurs, go back in to the file and try setting the IP to 127.0.0.1.

Here's where to find the HOSTS file just in case...
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Same thing happened to me.Deleted all cookies, temporary internet files and installed SpyBot.Looks good till today.Adaware seems doesn't help so much but may give a try.

I did that.. nothing happened muzikool.. I even deleted the host file.. opened IE again.. and it went to the page again.. went back to the folder.. another hosts file is in there.. with the same address

I got a suggestion and I am not sure it will prevent it from happening again or not - but it won't hurt to try it!

In addition to Spyboy S & D and AdAware (which run very well along side of eah other), I also use SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard. If you Click Here it will take you to the SpywareBlaster link and there is a link at the top middle of that page for SpywareGuard.

Both are free and I really like SpywareGuard as it alerts you when something is trying to change your home page and gives you the option to keep the home page you currently have! Please update both if you download to make sure you have the latest updates!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back