IE can't open, all folders can't open. Help please

moming

OSNN Junior Addict
I have a weired problem. My computer use XP and IE6. About three weeks ago, I installed IE7 Beta. A few days ago, a weired thing happened: When I tried to open IE, it just stopped when it was initializing and shortly closed itself. When I tried to open any folder (my computer, my document, control panel), I simply couldn't. the only thing happened after I clicked on "my computer" is that the desktop refreshed itself.

What i do is restored to a previous version of windows and delete IE 7 beta. But with the original IE version, the same problem happned again. I am really crazy with this. Please help me! thank you.

Beta software is a bit tricky, and can cause very strange issues that may be near impossible to replicate and or troubleshoot.

That being said, if you have System Restore on your PC, try going back to a point that was before the install of IE7, which is what it sounds like you may have done. After that, go to windows update - http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and ensure everything is up to date. After that is completed, and you reboot, try doing a System File Integrity check -

This can be performed by clicking Start, Run, type "cmd" without the quotes. With your XP CD in your CD-Rom, type "sfc /scannow" and hit enter. The process will take awhile, but let it run. After that is complete, and you reboot, look for any odd errors/warnings in the Event Viewer, which can be found from Start - Run - eventvwr.msc

Post your findings/results :)

Thank you so much! I have already restore the system to the time before I install IE7, and it seems everything is OK now.

I want to do a system file scan but the problem with me is that I don't have a Windows CD coming with me. My laptop is IBM ThinkPad T43, and instead of giving you a CD, they reserve a special invisible partion in the Hard disc for the System so that whenever the user wants to re-install the system, just do a format and click the restore. This is unfair for the users. Seems they just want to avoid pirate.

But anyway, I will try to scan the file and see what happen. Thank you again.

You won't get too far with the scan without a valid source, as it would then have nothing to check against (use for verification).

Is there an i386 folder on your PC somewhere?

Yes I have an "I386" in the hard disc. Can I use it to check the file? How can I use this?

Thank you

All you have to do is tell your computer where the setup files are. Click Start, Run, type "regedit" (no quotes).

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup

The value you are to be concerned with is SourcePath. Change that from pointing to your CD-ROM drive to wherever the files are. If the i386 folder is in the root of C:, change it to "C:\"

Reboot, and you should be good to go.

I edited the registry and did a scan. The scan didn't show anything wrong. After completed the scan, it simply disappeared from the screen. Does it mean there is nothing wrong?

Thank you again.

kcnychief said:
This can be performed by clicking Start, Run, type "cmd" without the quotes. With your XP CD in your CD-Rom, type "sfc /scannow" and hit enter.
For future reference, you don't have to open command prompt to run SFC.

Start > Run > sfc /scannow

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back