IE and Spyware!

Marge, ya gotta stop lookin up them damned nekkid guys. :rolleyes:

You know they izz all geh anyway. :p

@ j79zlr,I've opened IE and will let you know how it goes :)

I wish it was stuff like that I was looking at Gonaads,would be worth all the hassle then :laugh:

j79zlr said:
OK, first off, you can use more than one Spyware removal program, it is recommended, but I would only use MSAS, SSD, and Adaware, most of the other programs out there are either ripoff's of these, or worse.

The index.dat will not cause any problems, it does not have to be removed.

Marge, you should be fine with IE now, reopen it, if you have more problems post a new HJT log.

yeah, yerright j79. What I should have said is remove the content.ie5 directory completely. baddies like to hide in there - it's the only way to completely flush the cache of IE.

marge, stop lookin at pr0n heheh

This takes me back a bit. Never rely on any virus protection programme or for that matter any spyware set of programmes to stop intrusions to you PC or even a firewall hardware or software as they all to easy so circumvent.

The only advice I can give you using XP or variants thereof is to never log on to the internet under XP as an administrator you need to set up a very limited account with hardly any rights. This would mean for instance that this account is hand crafted and cannot place files or access same from any directory that is installed by XP by default C:\Windows\Sysetm32, for instance.

The spyware and viruses will still arrive but they won’t be able to do anything.
:) :) :)

Evil Marge said:
All the above.I already sort of knew what to do and had cleared it all out a few days back when it all started happening but I just ended up going round in circles cause as soon as one thing was gone something else appeared.
I've had atleast 5 different types of spyware to remove this week alone all because I have to use IE to view a certain website :speechless: :rolleyes: :laugh:

that.website.is.evil :dead: :dead:

I bet it was running in the system startup. Also, there should have been an uninstall ... I only seen stuff like installed from AIM, or Yahoo messanger. Well there are other things also, like bareshare free and messenger plus. But, you get the drift.

Also, About the only time you get anything like that from IE anymore is if you select yes to the popups that you get. I have not had anything like that in my system "From IE" in a long time. I guess it all depends on what sites you go to ..

I am glad you got it sorted out marge ,,,

Some spyware also put themselves in the Prefetch of Windows XP so they are reinstalled right on Windows Startup unless you clear it (%systemroot%\prefetch). I've even seen a really weird spyware, probably closer to a virus..., almost a joke, that was playing a sound along the lines of "You've been owned!" during the Windows XP logo screen on bootup! It hacked into the ntkernel file (same as custom loading screens)... Took my friend quite a while to find that one out lol!

xtweaker said:
Some spyware also put themselves in the Prefetch of Windows XP so they are reinstalled right on Windows Startup unless you clear it (%systemroot%\prefetch). I've even seen a really weird spyware, probably closer to a virus..., almost a joke, that was playing a sound along the lines of "You've been owned!" during the Windows XP logo screen on bootup! It hacked into the ntkernel file (same as custom loading screens)... Took my friend quite a while to find that one out lol!

This is one of the reasons I like Maxthon so much. I have it set to clean all that garbage out on exit. Nothing is left behind .. I don't keep anything; Whether it be cookies, temp internet files, or history. When my browser closes it all gets cleaned out. The normal windows things I use CrapCleaner for, I found it able to delete things other programs can't .. A good reg cleaing progam to use is Regseeker. It is free along with maxthon and crapcleaner ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back