IE 8 problem

cat826237

OSNN Addict
Since downloading and installing IE 8, I cannot get games to play in the D drive. It will install the game but won't play it, so the drive works. Tried several different games. Can play a music CD also. What do I need to do?

Is this in the wrong place on the forum? Been a while since I have had a problem needing your help.

Since downloading and installing IE 8, I cannot get games to play in the D drive. It will install the game but won't play it, so the drive works. Tried several different games. Can play a music CD also. What do I need to do?

Is drive D your CD-ROM or is it another HD? Also do you have all Windows Updates? I know Windows is wonky but not sure how installing a browser would keep games from launching. Also do you get any errors when the games fail to launch?

Yes it is the CD drive. Updates usually are automatic but will check. No error messages, just wont start the games. THANKS

Tried removing the drive through device manager then letting windows re-detect it?

Have not done that. The drive works as I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it using the D drive.

EDIT Uninstalled and reinstalled the D drive. No help.

There might be something with the install of IE 8 that is causing it. Try selecting allow active content to run from cd on my computer once and see what it does.

You can find that in internet options, advanced tab - It will be at the bottom under security.

Then I would take IE8 out then try to reinstall it.

Yep, that was the first thing I did. Even tried to restore and go back to which ever IE that I had but that also didn't work. Tried Firefox and still wouldn't work.

What game (or games) are not working? I couldn't imagine IE effecting anything but online games that used IE's rendering engine to display stuff ... but even that seems odd. Also did you install anything else around the same time as IE?

Autorun won't work nor will the click on the D drive symbol in "my computer". Three games that used to work are Age of Empires II and III. Also one of the kids games, Bob the Builder.
Problem showed right after IE8 install. Can't think of anything else. Kids use the computer but under watchful eye, but not exactly looking over there shoulder all time.

Seems to have hit the wall on this. What if I reinstall Windows home? Can I keep programs, pictures and what not odds and ends if I do this?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back