IE 7.0 Beta 1 Discussion Thread

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
I get plenty of these phishing mails in my Junk Mail box everyday, so I thought I'd test out the phishing filter in IE7 with one of them today. It's pretty cool. :)

Notice the prominent yellow "Suspicious Website" notification that comes up. Clicking the "Report" link takes you to the following page, where you can submit the site to the Microsoft repository, or report false positives. This seems to be similar in concept to the way Microsoft AntiSpyware builds up information for its central malware database (SpyNet) using the help of a large pool of users. How the tinfoil-hat privacy freaks react to this remains to be seen. ;)

Re: IE 7.0 Beta 1 - Phishing filter in action

On second thoughts, I've renamed this to be a general-purpose thread for discussion on IE 7.0 Beta 1.

Using it as my primary browser during the beta test period so that I'm in a better position to report issues and provide feedback. So here's the first little tweak - you'll notice that the search bar doesn't include the option to add additional search engines. The option is there, it's just not exposed in Beta 1. :)

To add additional search engines (Dictionary.com for this example), fire up the Regedit.
1. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes
2. Add a new key with a friendly name for the search engine (eg: Dictionary.com)
3. Under this new key, you need to add three values - two strings, and a DWORD:
-- String: "DisplayName" Value: "Dictionary.com" (this is the name that appears)
-- DWORD: "SortIndex" Value: 5 (increment this each time you add a new one)
-- String: "URL" Value: "http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=%s" (%s gets replaced with the query)

Done.

is this availible to the public yet ?? and also, can it be ran on xp ?? IF so I want it .. Thanx for the info by the way ..

It's officially a closed beta. Then again, so is Vista.....
And yes, I'm running it on my XP setup. As I mentioned in the other thread, I won't be getting around to installing Vista until this weekend.

Happy to report that PNG transparency is fully supported based on the tests on this page: http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/pngtrans/ :)

Now CSS2 compliance is a different story. Not to worry. We're strongly pushing them to make it pass the Acid 2 test (ambitious, I know!). From what I can see, this is one of the most active bug reports for IE7.

"Officially" is the key word. Google people! It's out there for you to enjoy.

IE 7 is looking good. The anti-phishing paper is an interesting read as well.

Yeah, lots of CSS issues have been cleared up.
Anyone got any pages that don't render properly in IE6 etc.?
Would be nice to see if they do it now, the IE guy was really pleased to show the stuff.

I also saw some Avalon stuff running on IE7 but I don't have the example URL, was really cool tho... may have been showing off some PNG transparency stuff too.

Interesting Screenshots NetRyder. While I had the chance to play with IE7 quickly, I haven't yet tested the "phishing" feature. What I do like, however, is that it is already smart and gives you the chance to make it smarter. I do wonder, if you report a site that is not detected, how long it takes MS to update the client on their-side. And, will this be something that gets pushed out as an update? Say, in SP1, or sooner, will they update the database on the local machine of users running Vista?

I don't know if I want to beta...does it replace explorere?...alos is there any speed differantial over the 6 for surfing?...how's load time?

perris said:
I don't know if I want to beta...does it replace explorere?...alos is there any speed differantial over the 6 for surfing?...how's load time?

Yes it replaces Explorer but archives the files and registry setting during install. So all you have to do is remove IE 7 and your previous version is back intact.

To remove in add/remove you have to first tick the "show updates" box at the top.

As far as speed I have not seen any difference so far.

I have a torrent for it but not sure if it can be posted.

kcnychief said:
Interesting Screenshots NetRyder. While I had the chance to play with IE7 quickly, I haven't yet tested the "phishing" feature. What I do like, however, is that it is already smart and gives you the chance to make it smarter. I do wonder, if you report a site that is not detected, how long it takes MS to update the client on their-side. And, will this be something that gets pushed out as an update? Say, in SP1, or sooner, will they update the database on the local machine of users running Vista?
I imagine they would need more than one person to report a new site before it's added to the database, for verification purposes. If not, you'd see lots of legitimate sites being added just for the heck of it by people who think it's funny. :)

Electronic Punk said:
Would be nice to see if they do it now, the IE guy was really pleased to show the stuff.
There are still a large number of CSS issues that need to be cleared up. I can post links to a few pages later on that IE 7 still doesn't render correctly. Keeping my fingers crossed for RTM, especially since beta testers are putting quite a bit of pressure, and the fact that Microsoft has been working with WaSP for a while now.

perris said:
It does replace IE6. However, there is an option to uninstall it and revert to IE6 in Add/Remove Programs. I'm liking it much better than IE6 so far. I've personally experienced faster rendering time as well, which was a pleasant surprise. Others have reported this too, so I don't think it's a placebo effect. Load time is about the same as IE6...it's pretty much instantaneous.

Two issues - if you use Trillian, it'll die and generate a crash dump when you attempt to start it. I believe disabling the MSN plugin solves the issue, but I haven't tried. More importantly, Windows Update (or Microsoft Update now) doesn't work with IE7, and it's not simply a problem with the UA string. I tried changing the UA string to MSIE 6.0, and it still wouldn't work. I have voted for this on Connect as a high severity bug, so I hope it'll be fixed soon. I guess if you have Automatic Update enabled in Windows, it shouldn't be as big of an issue though.

I'd personally recommend it over IE6 for sure. I'm not noticing any showstopper bugs (although the WU one is bad), and I'm enjoying it so far. :)

Noticed IE 7 is using more memory then IE 6 to open the same pages even with tabs turned off.

NetRyder said:
I imagine they would need more than one person to report a new site before it's added to the database, for verification purposes. If not, you'd see lots of legitimate sites being added just for the heck of it by people who think it's funny. :)

There are still a large number of CSS issues that need to be cleared up. I can post links to a few pages later on that IE 7 still doesn't render correctly. Keeping my fingers crossed for RTM, especially since beta testers are putting quite a bit of pressure, and the fact that Microsoft has been working with WaSP for a while now.

It does replace IE6. However, there is an option to uninstall it and revert to IE6 in Add/Remove Programs. I'm liking it much better than IE6 so far. I've personally experienced faster rendering time as well, which was a pleasant surprise. Others have reported this too, so I don't think it's a placebo effect. Load time is about the same as IE6...it's pretty much instantaneous.

Two issues - if you use Trillian, it'll die and generate a crash dump when you attempt to start it. I believe disabling the MSN plugin solves the issue, but I haven't tried. More importantly, Windows Update (or Microsoft Update now) doesn't work with IE7, and it's not simply a problem with the UA string. I tried changing the UA string to MSIE 6.0, and it still wouldn't work. I have voted for this on Connect as a high severity bug, so I hope it'll be fixed soon. I guess if you have Automatic Update enabled in Windows, it shouldn't be as big of an issue though.

I'd personally recommend it over IE6 for sure. I'm not noticing any showstopper bugs (although the WU one is bad), and I'm enjoying it so far. :)

Man, I am a living testament to all the bugs you listed. The night it came out I noticed that on both Vista and my XP Machine that had IE 7, I couldn't use the Web version of Windows Update. Also, my trillian broke. I didn't try messing with the plugins, I just switched to GAIM :)

EDIT: Hmm....it doesn't appear that IE 7 within Vista has a Phishing Filter....

Last edited:
Wow, i have just started using this and so far such a huge speed increase im noticing! Not come across any problem sites as of yet but i have only visited a couple so far.

Re: IE 7.0 Beta 1 - Phishing filter in action

NetRyder said:
On second thoughts, I've renamed this to be a general-purpose thread for discussion on IE 7.0 Beta 1.

Using it as my primary browser during the beta test period so that I'm in a better position to report issues and provide feedback. So here's the first little tweak - you'll notice that the search bar doesn't include the option to add additional search engines. The option is there, it's just not exposed in Beta 1. :)

To add additional search engines (Dictionary.com for this example), fire up the Regedit.
1. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes
2. Add a new key with a friendly name for the search engine (eg: Dictionary.com)
3. Under this new key, you need to add three values - two strings, and a DWORD:
-- String: "DisplayName" Value: "Dictionary.com" (this is the name that appears)
-- DWORD: "SortIndex" Value: 5 (increment this each time you add a new one)
-- String: "URL" Value: "http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=%s" (%s gets replaced with the query)

Done.

More on your tweak, and the plan for the future...

IE7 to Feauture Customizable Search Box

installed it and had almost nothing work right. I couldn't click on the options bar and when I click on (let's say for example) Tools, it would open up the menu and then disappear before I could click anything. Also I couldn't type an web addresses in or anything. I also had to click like 10 times just to close the browser.

I'm also assuming it's my system and not IE7 beta 1, so I'm not bashing it. I just wish I could get it to work

kcnychief said:
Man, I am a living testament to all the bugs you listed. The night it came out I noticed that on both Vista and my XP Machine that had IE 7, I couldn't use the Web version of Windows Update. Also, my trillian broke. I didn't try messing with the plugins, I just switched to GAIM :)

EDIT: Hmm....it doesn't appear that IE 7 within Vista has a Phishing Filter....

Works fine here. Windows Update came up super fast. Always a disappointment cuz I'm up to date. :(

Mastershakes said:
Works fine here. Windows Update came up super fast. Always a disappointment cuz I'm up to date. :(

Windows Update loads fine but when you scan for updates is when you have a problem as it seems to hang on scanning and never displays any results.

Electronic Punk said:

I also saw some Avalon stuff running on IE7 but I don't have the example URL, was really cool tho... may have been showing off some PNG transparency stuff too.
check my blog, as long as your msie version isnt less than IE 7 then it shouldnt load the bugfixing javascript code

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back