IDENT help Please!!!

E

efeezee

Since about a week ago, I have had trouble accessing IRC servers that require Ident, even though I have not changed my mIRC software at all, or installed anything.

Then, when I d/l a Ident app (which didn't work) and uninstalled it, I get an error message trying to connect to ftp sites that require Ident (UNABLE TO LISTEN ON PORT 113)

1) Any help with the IRC/IDENT issue in general?

2) Same question, for flashFXP? How come now Port 113 is unavailabe for Ident requests?

THANKS!!

Have you set up any sort of firewall that is blocking port 113, like winxp's firewall or such? If so make sure to take port 113 off any block lists you might have. and comb through your mirc settings and make sure everything under ident is correct

Well...

I have always had the XP firewall activated, and haven't made any changes to it. Is there a way to maually open a port in XP's firewall?

Enable mIRC identd

Enable mIRC identd
Ident needs to use port 113 , if you use "Internet Connection Firewall" in XP. Here is how to get it working without disabling the entire firewall:
1. Go into Control Panel-> Network Connections
2. Right click "Local Area Network" and select "Properties"
3. Left click the advanced tab
4. Left click the settings button
5. Under services, left click the add button
6. For description type "Ident", for Name of IP put the name that identifies your system with your ISP OR your IP if it is static.
7. Both external and internal ports are 113 by default and TCP.
8. Click OK all the way out.

Re: Enable mIRC identd

Originally posted by sickmailer
Enable mIRC identd
Ident needs to use port 113 , if you use "Internet Connection Firewall" in XP. Here is how to get it working without disabling the entire firewall:
1. Go into Control Panel-> Network Connections
2. Right click "Local Area Network" and select "Properties"
3. Left click the advanced tab
4. Left click the settings button
5. Under services, left click the add button
6. For description type "Ident", for Name of IP put the name that identifies your system with your ISP OR your IP if it is static.
7. Both external and internal ports are 113 by default and TCP.
8. Click OK all the way out.

THANKS MAN!!! Worked like clockwork for mIRC. One question for you all though, regarding the open port: should I be worried about a vulnerability at all?

Thanks again sickmailer!! :D

You asking me about security...

First, Check if you are vulnerable HERE

Second, If you are not satified with the result or just think your firewall is providing you with the best protection, you would like check this out Compare My Firewall

Third, If you want the Pro version free... Msg ME! ( If this is illegal here, you moderators can delete this sentence)

There's no danger in opening up port 113, unless there happens to be some sort of odd exploit in your ident server. As far as I've ever known, the ident server build into mIRC is just fine.

Configured properly, XP's firewall should serve you nicely, coupled with real-time virus protection. Most people don't need software outbound firewalls, in spite of Steve Gibson's incessant dribblings.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back