IDE Master or Slave??

S

stuy_b

Hi,

I've just got my mits on an ATA133 controller card, for my new Maxtor d740x HDD.

My Question is this..

The ATA controller card still allows the use of my older on-board ATA controller at the same time giving a possible of 8 ATAPI drives.

I have the following ATAPI devices:

Panasonic DVD CD-ROM drive
HP 8200a CDRW drive
Maxtor D740X HDD

Would setting all 3 devices as MASTER cause any improvement (one on motherboard controller, two on the ATA133 controller card-has 2 ports like motherboard) or will this cause problems.?

Why?.....

One of my onboard controllers is fuked!.. gives only PI0!!!!..dunno what happened! so I only can have 2 ATAPI devices running off my motheroard instead of 4.

Any advice please

Stuy_b

Are the ide's enabled in your bios?
I have a board with 4 ide ports. I have hhd, cd, and burner all set to master on 3 of the 4 ide's.

I can see no problem doing that as such, until you come to reinstall xp, you may have trouble finding the cd roms.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've set all my drives as Master now, and have just finished XP install.

I am now greeted with my first time to phone up MS and register, says I've reinstalled too many times, I need a NEW key no!!!

Doh!

Stuy B

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back