ID3 Tags and CDDB

Z

ZipTriX

I know when you convert an audio cd into mp3s, you can use the CDDB database. Is there anyway to make mp3s into an audio cd, so in the future, if I wanted to convert the audio cd into mp3s, it will use the CDDB database? I know each cd has a code which tells the database it is a certain artist and album.

Also what is the difference between ID3v1 and ID3v2? Do they have anything to do with this coding or with the CDDB database?
If so is there a certain program that I need to achieve this? Any website regarding this would be helpful too.

I have over 500 full albums in mp3 format that I want to burn to audio cd and get them off my hard drive. I have no need to burn them as mp3s to CDRs. I have cd players in my home and cars; no mp3 players. Also I hardly listen to music on my computer, unless checking the sound quality of mp3s.

Come on someone has to know what I am talking about and can head me in the right direction

Hi, try using Musicmatch, it will burn your mp3's on to cd and convert to audio.
the id3 thing (I think), one is newer and supports more features
do a search on cnet for id3 editors,
there's also a bit about tagging on the Musicmatch website.
good luck

Anyone have some ideas? Alec, Speed and Lonman? No suggestions? :p

To make it simple, I want to be able to burn all my mp3s as audio cds adn then later convert them back into mp3s using the cddb database (freeorg).

well when you convert an mp3 to an audio cd it doesnt matter what id version since cd audio doesnt use it. And if I remember correctly the cddb will only work if its a full cd by an artist. It wont set the id tags on custom cds with multiple artists. This is how it worked for me the last time I was ripping cd audio (4 months ago) unless the ripping programs now can query the CDDB for each individual song instead of by artist and album title.

update:
As long as you have full albums and you burn them onto the cd in the same order as you would find on a store bought cd, it should work fine when you rip them back onto your hd later on.

Here you go...

When you burn the CD, burn with CD-TEXT, then use Easy CD Extractor to "Submit to CDDB"... that CD will likely never be available from the CDDB website, but usually within 24 hours it will be in the Database, and any PC music player which used CDDB will identify it. Good luck...

Re: Here you go...

Originally posted by efeezee
When you burn the CD, burn with CD-TEXT, then use Easy CD Extractor to "Submit to CDDB"... that CD will likely never be available from the CDDB website, but usually within 24 hours it will be in the Database, and any PC music player which used CDDB will identify it. Good luck...
I will give it a try. Thanks.

Nero burns text on cd but your burner has to have the capability to do it. What kind of burner do you have?

Originally posted by Led2112
Nero burns text on cd but your burner has to have the capability to do it. What kind of burner do you have?
Yahama 20x

ZipTriX

Are you doing this because you are going to delete the Mp3's from your hard drive? I ask because you are going to lose a bit of quality from mp3 to cd then ripping back to mp3. I would just save them all as Data cd's you won't lose you Id3 tags and you can save about 130 or more songs on one cd.... Just a thought!:)

ZipTriX

Are you doing this because you are going to delete the Mp3's from your hard drive? I ask because you are going to lose a bit of quality from mp3 to cd then ripping back to mp3. I would just save them all as Data cd's you won't lose you Id3 tags and you can save about 130 or more songs on one cd.... Just a thought!:)

It's kind of a backup to the backup cds....lol Also I can only play audio cds in my car. :( santa was nice to me this year....(rotten bastard) So if I'm going to burn them as audio cd it would be nice to be able to rip them later in case something happens to the data cds.

Originally posted by ZipTriX

It's kind of a backup to the backup cds....lol Also I can only play audio cds in my car. :( santa was nice to me this year....(rotten bastard) So if I'm going to burn them as audio cd it would be nice to be able to rip them later in case something happens to the data cds.

Gotcha...Good luck .......Hope Santa is nicer next year!

Ok.....now my question is.

In Nero, the CD Text it will write is the album name and artist name, correct? So I don't have to type each name seperately?

If I am right on that, is that was retrieves the information from the cddb database?

Originally posted by ZipTriX
Ok.....now my question is.

In Nero, the CD Text it will write is the album name and artist name, correct? So I don't have to type each name seperately?

If I am right on that, is that was retrieves the information from the cddb database?

Yes thats the write text on cd we are talking about.. But Honestly I was reading somewhere that CDDB picks up information about the cd from the amount of Minutes and seconds that the cd has.. I could be wrong though!

any websites you find on that fact (assumption) let me know. That would be worth knowing before proceeding any further.

ZipTriX

I will check right now, I have no Idea where I read it but Im going to check for you.. Another reason Im thinking that I might be right about it is that My Old burner didnot have that ability to write text on a cd, I had made a copy of a music cd using CD copy in nero and CDDB recognized it as the cd it was, without writing text on it. Let me check into it and get back to you as soon as I can.

Here it is.....

"Audio CDs don't have any type of serial numbering system, so the designers of CDDB had to find another way to uniquely identify a CD. CDDB uses a combination of the subcode information contained on a CD along with the number of tracks and their length to try and uniquely identify it. That way when you insert a CD, you only get the correct information instead of every CD in the database that has 12 tracks on it. However, there are bound to be some duplicates out there. When this happens, CDDB presents you with all of the possible matches and lets you manually select the correct entry. "

The reason is that CDDB works by looking at the entire CD contents and using that information to identify the CD. With an MP3, you've changed the songs from the CD into independent MP3 files and have removed the context that CDDB needs in order to uniquely identify it."

Found it on www.Lockergnome.com but the site is down right now so I thougt I would give you the info..check the site later when it's up and read the whole article.

So I think your out of Luck...Sorry

Here it is.....

"Audio CDs don't have any type of serial numbering system, so the designers of CDDB had to find another way to uniquely identify a CD. CDDB uses a combination of the subcode information contained on a CD along with the number of tracks and their length to try and uniquely identify it. That way when you insert a CD, you only get the correct information instead of every CD in the database that has 12 tracks on it. However, there are bound to be some duplicates out there. When this happens, CDDB presents you with all of the possible matches and lets you manually select the correct entry. "

The reason is that CDDB works by looking at the entire CD contents and using that information to identify the CD. With an MP3, you've changed the songs from the CD into independent MP3 files and have removed the context that CDDB needs in order to uniquely identify it."

Found it on www.Lockergnome.com but the site is down right now so I thougt I would give you the info..check the site later when it's up and read the whole article.

So I think your out of Luck...Sorry
Cool I'll check it out. You've helped me out alot. THANKS

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back