id Software's Official DOOM3 Benchmarks

what about the 6800...they left that out!

come on ... there is no way in ****ing HELL I am buying an Nvidia card... no no no not gonna happen, never again. ATI is the only way.

Who sponsored this benchmark ... Nvidia??

The HL2 benchmarks when CS:S is released - those are gonna be amusing, that one is definatly ATI sponsored!

ati has not done anything wrt their OGL drivers in close to 2 years... hence it is not surprising they are not performing @ nvidia's level in some of the benches...

they do have a new and completely reworked set of OGL drivers debuting soon... in the next coupla months apparently is what the driver team is saying :)

wrt benchmark sponsoring... the development team WORKS with the IHV's... naturally some hardware gets a better look @ then others (carmack spent a lot more time on the nv3x architecture than the r3xx architecture for example... same as gabe) but overall performance should be reasonably good for both parties :)

ati is generally faster in d3d than nvidia so it is expected that it should run hl2 faster... just as OGL is expected to run faster on nvidia's hardware...

Thanks Sazar ... can always make sense for us ppl w/ only basic graphic card knowledge. :)

I only have basic graphic card knowledge myself m8 :)

Sazar said:
I only have basic graphic card knowledge myself m8 :)
I think compared to alot of ppl that might be the understatement of the yr :eek:

One more thing...does anyone know if its possible to do SLI with ATI?

I wish they benched some lowlier cards...but the article on slashdot said they were playing it on a 1.5GHZ Pentium with an MX440 and having a 'suprisingly good gaming experience' or something to that effect. I'm still not convinced though, and will try before I buy.

Terrahertz said:
One more thing...does anyone know if its possible to do SLI with ATI?

SLI was a 3dfx tech afaik though they sure as hell didn't have the kinda horsepower nvidia showed with their dual nv40's :)

ati's cards can run concurrently a lot like SLI using Alienware's video-array setup (almost the same system.. just alienware's proprietary tech instead of nvidia's) as will nvidia's and (for those who have em) even matrox cards... :)

just need 2 pci-express products and voila..

Sazar said:
SLI was a 3dfx tech afaik though they sure as hell didn't have the kinda horsepower nvidia showed with their dual nv40's :)

ati's cards can run concurrently a lot like SLI using Alienware's video-array setup (almost the same system.. just alienware's proprietary tech instead of nvidia's) as will nvidia's and (for those who have em) even matrox cards... :)

That helped. Thanks Sazar.

Sazar said:

Interesting stuff. Oldschool SLI ala 3dFX (Scan Line Interleave) used two voodoo 2 cards connected via a small internal feature connector to paint every other line on the screen, effectively halving the work load and nearly doubling the performance. I still have 2 12 meg voodoo 2s in my junk drawer. Now nvidia is borrowing from the now deceased 3DFX by using the SLI term for their new multicard solution, only this time it stands for "Scalable Link Interface" with 2 cards connected much the same way as 3dfx's solution. Alienware is doing something a little different though. Their proprietary multi-card solution has one card painting the entire top half of the screen, while the 2nd card paints the entire bottom half. I'd like to see both multicard solutions benchmarked using similar cards to see which technology works better.

-W

ATI is finally looking into impoving their OpenGL support, and they say future driver releases will improve performance in the few games that use OpenGL anymore, like Doom. Take THAT, Quake engine!

The Inquirer Story

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back