ICS problems, or maybe not?

V

Vapochill

Hey.
I'm helping a friend with his network. He has two computers that both run winXP pro and one should work as gateway. He has a broadband connection so he has two nic in one of the comps. According to his ISP he must use PPoE so he uses that to connect to the net.
I helped him run the ICS wizard and got it up and working. Then run the network wiz on the other computer. Both computers can see eachother over the network and the gateway pc can surf but the other comp cant?? The gatway shows up correctly on the 2:nd pc. The ip adresses looks ok. The Gateway has the 192.168.0.1 adress and the 2:nd ps has 192.168.0.xxx. I made him look through the services on the gateway comp and they were ok what i could see. Anyone know what the problem might be? I don tknow if they both use the same workgroup, could it be the problem? PLEASE help me!

Have you went to the properties on your broadband connection and selected "allow other users to connect to the internet through this connection" or its something similar to that.

Yeah i did that first but i dont think is is nessesary becourse the wizard does it for you.

I cant beleve it is a MTU problem. That sounds very unlikely.

Ok, some updates on the problem. We just found out that pc nr 2( the one connecting through the gateway) can connect to FTP but not surf the net? Can it be a Internet Explorer problem?

No he cant ping. Well one if the pings got a reply the rest just times out. The strange thing is ha can connect to my ftp but not another we tested? I was just told that pc nr2 is running Winxp Home edition, but that should not be a problem since the gateway comp runs Pro. Or is it? This is starting to sound like a bad connected TP cable or some thing. Well I have tried everything i can now ( looked at the services running on both comps and all the important ones were running).
I dont know if he can access ICQ, that we have not tried yet.

It really should work. Either it's a bad cable or (maybe) the duplex setting or the MTU value. Have you tried the MTU? Why didn't you think it would be MTU?

Sure we can try the MTU. Never heard that i can be the bad guy in a network but right now i desperate ill try anything including kicking the case....

Ok, MS tech solved the problem. A WinXp Home edition can not make a connection to a ICS gateway :(
All this work for nothing. *cry*

Haha, ok i got to laugh at this. He installed WinXp Pro on the 2:nd pc and still NO NET!!!

Originally posted by Vapochill
Ok, MS tech solved the problem. A WinXp Home edition can not make a connection to a ICS gateway :(
All this work for nothing. *cry*
A MS tech told you that? It's bull$****! Of course it can! An ICS gateway is just like any gateway/router. That would mean that an XP Home machine could never use the Internet. And that's just not true.

MTU can be a bad guy if you use PPPoE DSL combined with a NAT router. And you are.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back