ICS between two comps

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Greetings,
I want to set up an internet sharing between two computers, the host - an Pentium 3 667 with Windows XP - and the client - an AMD K6-2 300 with Windows 98. So far I was able to set up a working LAN between the two computers, but when it comes to trying to get internet sharing up, the client cannot access the web at all, while the host can. Is XP ICS compatible with Win98 ICS? If it is, can any shed some light on the situation? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Turn on ICS on the winXP machine, not the win98 machine. After setting up ICS on the winXP machine, change the win98 machine to obtain it's IP automatically. That should work :)

It worked for a day, then something else went wrong. Now I "can" access the internet from the win98 machine using ICS, but now, I can't see the xp machine on the win98 machine (shared drives and printers) and visa versa. HELP! :(

It seems that I have the main problem under control, but now I got this other problem where I can't see any computers on the network until I log onto the net with the gateway... Any ideas why? I want to use the network normally with and without logging onto the internet. I'm using ZoneAlarm as a firewall, and the others stats are above in my first post. Any hints or solutions are welcome. :)

Thanks.

you should set up zonealram to allow all traffic from the other machine, (via its IP) and make sure zonealarm knows its on an ICS "server"

Yeh I have set all the options required in ZoneAlarm, and it still isn't working as I would like it to.

ICS usually forces the host machine to have the IP address of 192.168.0.1
Normally the client machine should automatically receive a compliant IP address from the ICS host, but only in case the host is already running and listening... Apart form that ICS often messes up the shares between machines.
If you manually set the client to have a compliant IP address and subnet mask (ie: 192.168.0.2-254 - 255.255.255.0) along with 192.168.0.1 as the gateway then you should work this out.
Note that if a windows client can't receive an IP address then it normally assings itself the address 169.254.0.1-254 this would prevent network communications with ICS hosts running the 192.168.0.1-254 class.
You can check IP configuration with the *ipconfig* command line tool.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back