Icq with Xp Firewall

• Thread starter DarkBanishing
  • Start date
D

DarkBanishing

How do I configure winXP firewall to work with icq (file transfer)

I used to use ICQ regularly until recently. I think my first number was 447*** , which is pretty old. Icq is so bloated now I refuse to use it. I was about to install it again the other day until I came across some hacking/cracking sites for ICQ(looking for ways to block the ads) which scared me away from it. I know theres ways to do things to people on other IM programs but with the way ICQ is now, its even easier for people to exploit it.

kr0m: Don't give up on ICQ just yet!
personally I believe that ICQ is the best IM network, with the worst client. So why user the client? Here's a great alternative I've been using for over a year: http://miranda-icq.sourceforge.net/

In response to the original post, you have to:
a) configure ICQ to use specific ports (instead of random)
b) allow these ports in the firewall

I haven't tried this myself, these are just quickly faked to give you the idea so hopefully that will help:

xpicq3.jpg

xpicq2.jpg

xpicq1.jpg

this is a little off topic Kr0m, but if you download ICQplus from here you can set an option to remove adds from the skin. i'm not sure if it works with out setting a skin, but you can give it a try.

icq plus is even more bloat.

miranda is ultra-lightweigh, has no advertising and I also check sites like bug-track and so far none of the exploits for ICQ have affected miranda, as they were all client based.

Thanks for the tip on Miranda. I've seen people mention it before but I've never tried it. I have now and its great.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back