ICQ + MSN vs. Trillian

luish

OSNN Senior Addict
I use ICQ lite v1302 & MSN messenger v6.1 ...
Are they better than triliian ?
Or is trillian better than them ?
Is it worth to pass to trillian ?

I'd recommend using Trillian over both of them!
Personally I use GAIM though.

Trillian is good if you use more then 1 chat program. I used it when I was using ICQ, Yahoo and MSNM but recently switched to just MSNM

If you're going to use ICQ lite then I'd agree with what the others have suggested.
However, if you use ICQ 2002b (not 2003) then I'd say ICQ 2002 is better because you can keep a long history of messages that you have sent and received. Also, you can send SMS messages to people around the world within the same program.

If I already have AIM, YAHOO and MSN and want to switch to just Trillian, can I just import my contacts to Trillian and uninstall the other the other messenger progs.

aim keeps your stuff on their server so you can connect from anywhere and keep the list. yahoo and msn do it too just for the easy use. I thought msn made it so you can't use outside clients like gaim and trillian a few months ago. not really sure though

ming said:
However, if you use ICQ 2002b (not 2003) then I'd say ICQ 2002 is better because you can keep a long history of messages that you have sent and received. Also, you can send SMS messages to people around the world within the same program.
You can send SMS messages and having logging with Trillian Pro. Not sure if the free version does SMS.

mooo said:
thought msn made it so you can't use outside clients like gaim and trillian a few months ago.
As of today, Trillian still connects to all 4 services.

Bucky Badger said:
If I already have AIM, YAHOO and MSN and want to switch to just Trillian, can I just import my contacts to Trillian and uninstall the other the other messenger progs.
The only service you would have to import your contacts, is ICQ. Y!, MSN and AIM are all server side contact lists, so you do not have to worry about manually adding/importing them to Trillian.

Yeah, trillian is a MUST especially if you use more than one IM. I still prefer trillian free version over MSN or ICQ or YAHOO. I only use it to chat and don't have a need for the original IM's 'extra' features. I find the original IMs too bloated now, especially ICQ.

Do you use the voice/video features of MSNM often? If so, you might want to stick to using that, since Trillian does not support voice/video on the MSN network. There is support for Yahoo's webcam feature though.

If you use ICQ and MSNM mainly just for text-based instant messaging, switch to Trillian or any other multi-protocol messenger (gaim, MirandaIM etc.) by all means. They usually take up less memory than all the other apps combined, and you don't need to switch between apps to communicate across multiple networks.

I am a user of trillian pro 2.01 and there is no way i would go back to MSNM or ICQ now all the feature i use are here and more besides on thing it took me a long time to get skins etc to my liking. A good bonus was the smily pack i found which when using msn6 uses all the animated ones etc and when using icq uses the icq one works much better than the defalt ones :)

wouldnt touch trillian with a barge pole. they have never been able to get file transfers working reliably, theres a serious issue with the pro version which means it uses a constant 10% of your memory bandwidth thus slowing the entire pc down, and for anyone that uses msn, it lacks virtually all of msns flagship features, i.e. proper webcam support, proper buddy icon support and any kind of custom emoticon support.

i have to say msn (msn 6 and up that is, nobody should be using anything older these days) is by far the best of all these im progs which is something if a miracle in itself since its made by MS, but i guess i can allow them ONE really good program.

"trillian.exe Mem Usage = 5,420K" <= how does this equal 10% of 512 meg of physical memory alone??? Buddy icons work perfectly, and you can use what ever emoticons you feel like. Admittdly they were having diffaculty with file transfer but the biggest addition to trillian pro ie the 2.01 version was to fix this and it now works faultlessly. As mentioned earlier in the thread its actually less memory intensive so the only issue is webcam which i dont use anyway :)

I use MSNM for myself (can't live without it ;) );
I use Yahoo!M for my wife (my wife likes it, so be it ;) );
I use Trillian Pro 2.011 for Icq (2 accounts: my wife, me), for Msn (my wife only), and for Yahoo! (me only).

i use MSN very very VERY rarely, however my main method of IM is AIM as i use iChat :D
or if i have logged into slackware then i use kopete

arent there any other 3rd applications which can let you use Webcam for MSN Messenger? i use Webcams alot on msn alot you see.. and i sometimes think the Messenger IM's are alittle too bulky

Alex :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back