icons lost

oreverb

OSNN Junior Addict
I removed a program called Aston Shell from my system but afterwards most icons that belong to registered file types (such as Word document, BMP-files) have lost or aren't shown.

Instead the icon picture is the one assiocated with unregistered file types. However, Windows recognizes the file types it should (open correct programs) but the icon picture is wrong. How can I fix this? I read some tips about deleting 'shelliconcache'-file but there isn't one in my Windows folder. I have XP with SP1.

Very unlikely that the icon cache is the problem. In XP it is not in Windows folder but in Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache.db.
If you don't have a restore point from before you installed Aston Shell, or any other registry backup, your only option is probably to go through Folder Options - File Types and restore every icon manually.

I suppose same thing could be done with a registry patch that would correct the icons for file types..? Somehow I feel that kind of patch doesn't exist.. ;\

Of course it can be done from registry. However last time I searched HK_CLASSES_ROOT for DefaultIcon entries Registry Crawler found more than 900 for me. And HK_CLASSES_ROOT is different for everybody. Depends on which programs you have installed and what your file associations are.

You are sure that Aston Shell didn't leave any backup behind in the programs folder or perhaps somewhere in Documents and Settings.
Never used the program myself, so don't know much about it.

Never tried this as well but it promises to restore Windows XP's default file associations (probably also the icons but not 100% sure). Have a look here: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm

I made some progress by reinstalling service pack 1. It restored a few icons, such as bmp and gif. Still txt-files for example have no icon. The link you provided made no difference.. And Aston is completely wiped out, though it remains in registry (in the path parameters for file types' icons).

DefaultIcon path for text files is
%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-152

My suggestion would be get Registry Crawler http://www.4dev.com/regc/index.htm

Use it to search all references to Aston or for DefaultIcon, then select all, and click export. Now rename this file from .reg to .txt and post it here or send it to me per E-mail. I will try to make a reg file with the default values.
Are you using an English language version of XP and is it installed in C:\Windows? Would be important for some path values.

Thanks for the help! :) I attached the file, there are about 70 registry entries. My Windows installation is as you described.

OK got your file. Will see what I can do. I'll post back this evening (CET). Have to work now. :(

Looking at your text file, it seems you have a multitude of orphaned registry entries left over from your icon program. Mayhap if you used a registry cleaner, some or all of your problems will be cleared up. I use Reg Cleaner from jv16 for a lot of my computer cleanups. Works like a charm, and it's free.

Just a thought.

Thanks, that actually solved the whole problem. Sometimes the answer is so simple...
:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back