Icon Replacement Woes

NerdUprising

[ Method ]
Recently compiled my own shell32.dll with some icons that I liked (serenity sage)

went into safe mode, replaced, rebooted, works gorgeous... with the exception of three little things:

my computer, my pictures, and my documents icons have something against changing, I guess... the rest of the icons were working, but I rebuilt the icon cache with iPhile anyway, but to no avail :(

Do I have to increase cache size (best/safest way to go about that?), is there a problem with the shell32.dll (should I re-replace all of the icons from a fresh copy) or am I screwed :confused:

many thanks for suggestions and whatnot

Attachments

• icons.jpg
    icons.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 90
The My Pictures icon is retrieved from mydocs.dll by default, not from shell32.dll.
You can edit the desktop.ini file inside the folder.

The MyComputer icon is in Explorer.exe
See HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon in the registry.

The My Documents icon however should be in shell32.dll.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}\DefaultIcon.

yoyo, this is one more reason why you will always be one of the most indispensable, genius members of osnn :)

my pictures = now works

my computer/my docs = ...dammit... I changed the registry key (after creating restore point, in case I horrendously screwed something up) from its default to the location of the icon I would like to use - but I know the formatting must be wrong:

C:\Documents and Settings\Nerd\My Documents\icons\Light_Blue___Sage\Light Blue & Sage\Serenity Sage\_Customize.ico,0

I know that the 0 is the index, and all that good junk... but what so I do about the spaces in the address (if anything...although I know that something should be done about them)...or what else

I apologize for however stupid this question actually is, but I trust your godly knowledge

thanks again

You can change the My Documents (and the My Computer) icon in Display Properties - Desktop - Customize Desktop.

This is a change on a per user basis. (It changes HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}\DefaultIcon).

This setting in HKEY_CURRENT_USER overwrites the setting in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. If you delete the (Default) value of the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}\DefaultIcon key the one in HKCRoot takes effect. Btw. just noticed the CurrentUser key points to MyDocs.dll not to shell32.dll.
So if you want an all user solution modifying mydocs.dll would be the way to go.

ahhhh!

many thanks for enlightening me, sir yoyo

I bow to your supreme knowledge, thank you again :cool:

NerdUprising I edited my post above before I saw your answer, so maybe read it once more.

... and don't exaggerate :D

I had actually gone at mydocs.dll anyway, because I saw it in the desktop.ini in the respective folder, but thanks for the heads up anyhow, in case I come back to make more changes, and end up changing my stuff, but not other users, etc...

and as for exaggerating - I dont :p in all seriousness, you provide some of the most concise, useful, and pertinent information in all of the threads I have seen you post in since I joined, so thank you for that.

Woo, I can smell the ass from NerdUprising's lips all the way over here! :p Only joking.

^ lol, I was only saying... I'm just thankful there are people out there who can actually help, instead of ... just people named after cars... :D

Hehehe... Glad you got it sorted out NerdUprising... :) I guess you can get that feeling with the message line you have there under your sig... :D

NerdUprising said:
yoyo, this is one more reason why you will always be one of the most indispensable, genius members of osnn :)

my pictures = now works

my computer/my docs = ...dammit... I changed the registry key (after creating restore point, in case I horrendously screwed something up) from its default to the location of the icon I would like to use - but I know the formatting must be wrong:

C:\Documents and Settings\Nerd\My Documents\icons\Light_Blue___Sage\Light Blue & Sage\Serenity Sage\_Customize.ico,0

I know that the 0 is the index, and all that good junk... but what so I do about the spaces in the address (if anything...although I know that something should be done about them)...or what else

I apologize for however stupid this question actually is, but I trust your godly knowledge

thanks again

It appears that you have sorted out the problem now, but just so you know for the future, just put that adress into quote marks, eg:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Nerd\My Documents\icons\Light_Blue___Sage\Light Blue & Sage\Serenity Sage\_Customize.ico,0"

Will work in the registry :) I've done it myself :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back