Icon Display

R

robsta4

Hi everyone,

I have an annoying problem, not a major one but was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it. I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 and have the theme set to classic mode. When my PC boots up and the icons display there is a dotted ring around the text of one icon, and if you click on different icons it moves around with the mouse pointer. I have checked all of the visual effects and they are all on, but i can't get rid of it. I have attached a picture with this post so you can see what i mean, any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Rob.

I think that is the way it behaves. Click a clear area on the desktop & it should go away..........till you click an icon again.

Yeah, maybe. I used to run Windows 2000 Pro, and i can't recall having that issue before. Like i said its not really a big issue, id just like to know if there is a way of getting rid.

That's not a bug, its a feature!!! Its been that way for a long time. Even WinNT has it. By clicking once on the icon you select it. It gets marked by the dotted line, as you describe. Pressing the [ENTER] key, you would start up the selected icon.

As hipster said. Click on the desktop and you will un-select the selected icon.

Regards,
Willem

On my 2K box even clicking on the desktop doesn't clear the selected icon indicator. I don't think there's any problem with it, that's the way I've always remembered it working but that doesn't mean there's not some reg tweak or some other way of disabling the feature.

Sorted it now. Just in case anyone is interested if you right click on desktop, properties, appearance, effects, and tick the "Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation" box, it gets rid of the dotted lines for good... Thanks to everyone who took the time to post.

Cheers

Originally posted by robsta4
Sorted it now. Just in case anyone is interested if you right click on desktop, properties, appearance, effects, and tick the "Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation" box, it gets rid of the dotted lines for good... Thanks to everyone who took the time to post.

Cheers
Good stuff. Thanx robsta4. :0 Off to make the changes now.

DOH! Mine was already ticked. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back