Icon changing program

Stu

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi everyone :)

I'm trying to change some icons (desktop, start menu, my computer, etc) and want a decent program for doing so. I've got one called Iphile (a freebie one) but it doesn't always make the icons stick. Sometimes they will revert to the default XP ones :(

What I would like is some advice on which programs are the best to use, preferably free ones but please list any paid ones that you use and are happy with :)

If it helps, I'm using Windows XP Home with Service Pack 1 installed.

Thanks a lot :)

Well you could always edit the shell32.dll, but if u get lazy like me. I'm using IconWorkshop! I'll find the link later, I'm at school right now!

Bman™ said:
I'm using IconWorkshop! I'll find the link later, I'm at school right now!

Here ya go...
http://www.axialis.com/axicons/ :)

I personally use the shell32.dll replacement method. You can either find pre-modded ones based on icon sets like Snow E2 etc, or you can fire up Resource Hacker and create your own sets.

And if you don't know how to edit your shell32.dll, be a bit patient, I'll have a tutorial up soon :)

PsuedoKiller, apologies for posting in the wrong board :)

I've downloaded IconWorkshop and as far as I can see, it's only for creating icons :( What I really need is a program that just let's me change, for example, the Control Panel icon from the standard XP one to one from a set I've downloaded. Not sure if Icon Workshop does this but I can't see it if it does :rolleyes:

I'm interested in this hacking of shell32.dll though. Will it allow me to do what I want?

Thanks again :)

Stu said:
I'm interested in this hacking of shell32.dll though. Will it allow me to do what I want?
It's not hacking, only creativelly manipulating! Yes it should allow you to, shell32.dll is where all of the default windows icons are stored.

Thanks for that rushm001 :) Are there any tutorials on how to hack the shell32.dll file other than the one o_87 is planning on doing? :)

I'm not sure whether it's a problem with Iphile or a problem with the icon cache but the icons seem not to be staying as I put them. It may have something to do with the fact that I installed a program yesterday (can't for the life of me think what it was) that changed icons and I set everything to be Windows Defaults then used Iphile to change the default icons to the customised ones I wanted.

Is there any way I can sort this out?

I believe it was possible under earlier versions of windows to get a screen grab of the icon you wanted and then use windows paint to edit it. May well still be possible under windows XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back