Icon changing program

Stu

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi everyone :)

I'm trying to change some icons (desktop, start menu, my computer, etc) and want a decent program for doing so. I've got one called Iphile (a freebie one) but it doesn't always make the icons stick. Sometimes they will revert to the default XP ones :(

What I would like is some advice on which programs are the best to use, preferably free ones but please list any paid ones that you use and are happy with :)

If it helps, I'm using Windows XP Home with Service Pack 1 installed.

Thanks a lot :)

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
Well you could always edit the shell32.dll, but if u get lazy like me. I'm using IconWorkshop! I'll find the link later, I'm at school right now!

Stu

OSNN Junior Addict
PsuedoKiller, apologies for posting in the wrong board :)

I've downloaded IconWorkshop and as far as I can see, it's only for creating icons :( What I really need is a program that just let's me change, for example, the Control Panel icon from the standard XP one to one from a set I've downloaded. Not sure if Icon Workshop does this but I can't see it if it does :rolleyes:

I'm interested in this hacking of shell32.dll though. Will it allow me to do what I want?

Thanks again :)

rushm001

In the beginning......
Political User
Stu said:
I'm interested in this hacking of shell32.dll though. Will it allow me to do what I want?
It's not hacking, only creativelly manipulating! Yes it should allow you to, shell32.dll is where all of the default windows icons are stored.

Stu

OSNN Junior Addict
Thanks for that rushm001 :) Are there any tutorials on how to hack the shell32.dll file other than the one o_87 is planning on doing? :)

Stu

OSNN Junior Addict
I'm not sure whether it's a problem with Iphile or a problem with the icon cache but the icons seem not to be staying as I put them. It may have something to do with the fact that I installed a program yesterday (can't for the life of me think what it was) that changed icons and I set everything to be Windows Defaults then used Iphile to change the default icons to the customised ones I wanted.

Is there any way I can sort this out?

rushm001

In the beginning......
Political User
I believe it was possible under earlier versions of windows to get a screen grab of the icon you wanted and then use windows paint to edit it. May well still be possible under windows XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut