ICANN goes live with IPv6

vern

Dominus
Political Access
This might be of interest to some of us ... IPv6 goes live. The 20 year transition will probably transparent to most people, but now that it's here ... I'm glad. Finally my dog can have his very own IP.

/me wonders how they are going to hand out IPs.

ICANN, the U.S. body overseeing Web site allocations globally, has launched a new technology that will allow virtually unlimited Internet addresses, its chairman told Reuters on Tuesday.
Vinton Cerf of the Internet Corp. for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) said the next-generation protocol, IPv6, had been added to its root server systems, making it possible for every person or device to have an Internet protocol address.

Rapid growth in the use of the World Wide Web has in recent times prompted concerns about future scarcity of domain addresses, with demand threatening to overload the existing system, the IPv4.

"This is a big, big step," Cerf said, speaking on sidelines of ICANN's annual conference held in the Malaysian capital.

Los Angeles-based ICANN was given the job of overseeing the Internet's naming and numbering system globally by the U.S. government.

Cerf said about two-thirds of the 4.3 billion Internet addresses currently available were used up, adding that IPv6 could magnify capacity by some "25,000 trillion trillion times."

He said the IPv6 system would run parallel to IPv4 for about 20 years to ensure that any bugs or system errors were weeded out.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=5717373

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back