IBM drops Microsoft OS for Linux!

ShepsCrook

Red Sox Fan!
http://news.softpedia.com/news/IBM-Drops-Windows-19434.shtml

representative at the Linux Forum 2006 said.

According to Groklaw.com, Andreas Pleschek, head of open source and Linux technical sales across North East Europe, said during a presentation that IBM has cancelled their contract with Microsoft as of October this year. This means that IBM will not switch to Vista, after the new operating system is launched. He also said that starting July, the company’s employees will use IBM Workplace on their new, Red Hat-based platforms.

However, Groklaw says that the switch will take place gradually and that Windows XP will still run on some workstations for a period of time.

At the end of the presentation, Andreas Pleschek revealed that the laptop he used for the presentation was running a pre-release of their new platform, the Open Client. It is actually a Red Hat work station with IBM's new Workplace Client, which is built in Java on top of Eclipse.

If the statements made by Andreas Pleschek are, Microsoft will receive another blow to its income, still suffering after Massachusetts’ decision to give up on Microsoft Office and use open-source solutions such as Open Office or Star Office instead.

In September 2005, the Massachusetts officials had announced that they intended to introduce this decision and although Microsoft tried to make them change their minds, warning that switching to another Office suite would require time and money, at the end of the month, the decision became final.

Microsoft is not too comfortable in the UK either, as BECTA (The British Educational Communications and Technology Agency) has announced at the beginning of January that it will soon scrutinize the company’s software under a “value for money” review of their educational licensing programs.

Last edited:
I find it hard to belive that they would change OS's to Linux. Most end user have enough issues as it is.

I wish users would post at least a portion of the article...

I gave up asking matt. I just don't bother clicking on the article.

The fewer the responses, the quicker the poster will learn.

There you guys go, you don't need to talk about me as if I'm a typical 3rd person. Just ask for the article and I'll do it for those who don't want to click once on the link.

Thank you Shep. Our reasons are simple, we are at work.

At least with me, ask and ye shall receive. I can understand the frustration, but don't make it sound so horrible. Next post I'll make about something and it will have the article with it.

Anyway, back to subject. One thing people have to remember, is that IBM doesn't produce desktop PCs or laptops anymore, that division was sold to Lenovo. So what IBM would put Windows XP on I have no idea.

ShepsCrook said:
Anyway, back to subject. One thing people have to remember, is that IBM doesn't produce desktop PCs or laptops anymore, that division was sold to Lenovo. So what IBM would put Windows XP on I have no idea.
The corporate world they support?

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060305214231974

Is a good article to read.

The number of Linux users within the Armonk, N.Y., company is about 5 percent of IBM's 329,000 employees, spokeswoman Nancy Kaplan said. The workers include software developers and designers, people configuring software and hardware bundles for customers and others who need to use Linux as part of their jobs.

"The Linux plan is for people who have a need for Linux, as part of their jobs, will use it," Kaplan said. "We have not made Linux available to the general employee population and there are no plans to do that."

IBM started standardizing on Red Hat's Enterprise Linux product last year, after signing a deal in which the Linux distributor would provide support, Kaplan said. IBM does not plan to switch employees currently using Windows to Red Hat.

Andreas Pleschek, head of open source and Linux technical sales across Northeast Europe, was erroneously quoted this week as saying IBM had cancelled its Windows contract with Microsoft as of October, and did not intend to upgrade to Vista, the next major upgrade of the operating system, Kaplan said.

The posting on blog Groklaw also said IBM employees would start using IBM Workplace, the company's business collaboration software, on Linux desktops in July.

Kaplan confirmed that Workplace is being rolled out companywide, but said it will run on both Red Hat and Windows. Because of their jobs, Linux users have the most immediate need for Workplace, so they will be the first to get the software.

from http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=181502065&subSection=Columns

IBM is not switching, and is not dropping Windows at all. It is just moving desktops that require linux on it, over to Linux inside the company, to better support the software they are developing, and also to in general lower costs.

ShepsCrook said:
It's not for machines they sell. They're simply using Linux on employee workstations/laptops within the company.

I was gonna say the same think at net, just their own machines.

I once worked for a company called RTKL, which is an american architectural co. but i worked for the london branch they made a complex for IBM, i saw some pictures of there control center and let me assure you, if you think the movies that depict the american militaries centers are impressive this place was insane, it would rival anything nasa had or has, so i doubt they'll have any problem making there own o/s.

Also they are going through a cost restructering plan, so this is totally not unexpected, about 30,000 people are being booted either through natural retirement or in the end redundancies.

Gosh dang Massachusetts!

Was it not said in the initial post that microsoft will loose yet more business?
Thats what this edited post was meaning to say...
Anyways...
I am sorry for my 3 lined posts, that aren't as bad as the people who post three times in a row...
Anyways, i was simply trying to ask a question...
But you answered it in the post after this one...
Thank you very much,
Jack

Last edited:
Vanquished said:
God damn Massachusetts!
I like Microsoft, i wish it to prosper :)
So basically you have a choice of Linux or Windows?

This post made absolutely no sense.

1. Massachusetts chose an open format so that all documents that were stored would be accessible for years to come, something that Microsoft could not guarantee with it's .DOC format.

2. Microsoft is currently a monopoly, it is good for a monopoly to get some competition, or not always win, as that means it has to do just that little bit more to get back on the ball, means they have to innovate, instead of just regurgitate that what is already out there.

3. IBM is choosing Linux for their internal workstations there where it makes sense, and there where it is cost efficient to switch. This right now consists of most of their servers that do file sharing, and the workstations where there is a lot of programming going on for Linux and or for the Linux kernel. This also means that entire departments that are making software from IBM for Linux, and or Unix will be switching from Windows to Linux to make it easier to run those programs for testing, and get rid of shell servers that would otherwise have to be used for this job.

Now, please do me a favor vanquished, I am personally getting annoyed at the 3 line posts you make all the time, EVERYWHERE, and most of them seem just kind of on topic enough to not be deleted, but at the same time they provide nothing new to the topic. Like this one for instance. Please refrain from doing so. Thank you.

lol... Well, I know when I worked for Lenovo, there was talk of moving the internal departments in IBM and Lenovo to Linux for ease of use in testing and for other reasons. But I never thought they would make the switch. Lenovo is still using Windows though where IBM has made that switch. I wonder if and when Lenovo will go... hmmm... The 2nd or 3rd largest computer manufacturor in the world switching to Linux... That would be a very large influence on some things.

X i think you are being unduly harsh on vanquish, although i'll admit i've been out of the loop for a few months, so i don't even know the person, but still his a paying member.... :)

ok just noted that he has accumilated almost 1000 posts in 2 1/2 months, perhaps X is right after all. :0

lancer said:
X i think you are being unduly harsh on vanquish, although i'll admit i've been out of the loop for a few months, so i don't even know the person, but still his a paying member.... :)

ok just noted that he has accumilated almost 1000 posts in 2 1/2 months, perhaps X is right after all. :0

If you would like to bring something like this up, please do it in a PM. As for why I said it, it is more because random posts, like this one I am writing, like yours, and those of others make the entire discussion go off target. Vanquished posts random 3 liners, that are almost on topic, but yet off topic at the same time, or just simply "thanks", when it makes absolutely no sense.

Now, back on topic, or a simple closure of this thread will be the end result.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back