IBM Deathstar

C

cartoonboy

Bugger, well tonight My 40gig HD died on me, after only a year (or more) Use...
I have noticed that the drive makes very odd sounds @ bootup, which from time to time causes my PC to not boot...
and just b4 it died it was hot as hell.....bloody thing...

I am wondering what the main problem can be..is it that IBM drives are total crap and should be avoided? or can it be a power related problem? here is my sys spec

300W p/S
Giga-byte GA-8SG667
Celeron 2ghz
256 DDR 333
IBM Deathstar (dead) 40gig
Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8, 40gig (as slave)
Pioneer DVD
Yamaha CDRW (slave)
SB Live
NIC
Firewire
ATI 7500
Trust 56k modem

Thats it...any idears?
and for the next HD, Im going for Maxtor or Seagate (which after 2 years is still going strong)

Ciao

What model was it? Anything below 120GXP sucks.

Go for seagate, top notch drives.

I've just had a ibm 180gxp go down on me after only 6 months. Ran the ibm drive fitness test and it said it was faulty hardware. Did a search for the fault code on google and found quite a few forums ect with people having the same prob. Worst bit is is that I live in uk and have to send the drive to Netherlands, damn pain. Think I may try another brand next time but who produces the best drives?

The model is a IC35L040AVER07-0...if that means anything...

oh, just to add another thing, have tried ti reinstall winxp, but it wont let me format it...says the disk is buggered (in a word)

Ciao

Originally posted by cartoonboy
The model is a IC35L040AVER07-0...if that means anything...

oh, just to add another thing, have tried ti reinstall winxp, but it wont let me format it...says the disk is buggered (in a word)

Ciao

It does say something, it's Model 60GXP.

drives shmives....1 in 10,000 go bad in under a year, regardless of brand. :eek:

Maxtor, Seagate, Deskstar...all rank. Wanna bad drive, pick up an old quantum fireball. :happy:

So far my 2 IBM GXP120's have been spin'n away for about 16 months now without a problem and running on average of 18 hours per day. (Knock on wood)...:) Think the P4 could have anything to do with it?:D

If you own different drives as I do (all of them) and have run HDtach (benchmark) youll see theres no difference between them.

So I ask whats more important. A drive that has 1 year warrenty or a drive with 3 year warrenty. As of right now all new drive have 1 year except all maxtors. They didnt jump the ship with the rest of the makers.

My advice: stay the hell away from IBM drives. Two in a row went bad on my friend in less than a couple months and now mine is starting to make sounds...

Mine is a IBM Deskstar 120gxp and so far in its 12 month life i have not yet had a problem....and i run mine in a SFF Pc so its alot hotter than yours i bet !.

All hard drives are made on the cheap thats why most of the manufactures have reduced the warranty on them to 12 months from the 36 you used to get.

Its all pot luck.

ive had an ibm die due to a power fault.

those weird sounds you experienced... could they be the sound of the power cutting to the hdd and then it powering up again?

the power cutting will sound like a clunk, and the powering up will be like a low whistle/screech sound (for lack of a better word lol) and then the crackling as it starts reading from it?

the above is what happened to my old ibm 30gb... i think it was a 60gxp aswell tbh.

when i took it back to the shop, the guy said he's had a few sent back with the same problems and he sent them away with quantums instead... subsequently nobody has returned since with problems. I took the quantum quite happily as I had a 4gb which pwned (also for lack of a better word lol). I've had the quantum for well over a year now... they're by far the best imo. I've got one of the new maxtors aswell... they bought out Quantum's HDD division, so I'm guessing by their new HDDs carrying the "Fireball" tag, that they're all pretty much the same architecture (quantums and maxtors).

The last seagate I had was fairly quiet... but unfortunately slow... why they put that strange rubber sh** around it I'll never know lol. Good solid drives though imo

I had a hard drive go bad when I was going from long island new york to buffallo

I had to do the drive all by myself, as my m8 got sick, and we had to be there the next day

whew

hard drive

Originally posted by jonifen
ive had an ibm die due to a power fault.

those weird sounds you experienced... could they be the sound of the power cutting to the hdd and then it powering up again?

the power cutting will sound like a clunk, and the powering up will be like a low whistle/screech sound (for lack of a better word lol) and then the crackling as it starts reading from it?

Thats it, the drive was doing that on and off for about a month b4 it died:huh: the good news is that the drive is under a year :D the bad news is i cant find the bloody receipt:mad: (I think I am staying up late tonight) hope I can find it....
I had a Quantum, but that died on me aswell, thats when I got the IBM Deathstar...
the next one is Maxtor...and change the P/S....

snookbooger, i thought the same thing when my IBM died. I went to the shop where I got the PSU from (coincidentally the same shop I got the HDD from lol) and they swapped it for a new one... then I found it was the HDD at fault and not the PSU, so they swapped that too lol

i've purchased one 75gxp (the original deskstar) and two 60gxp's... all are still running fine. but my dad buys one 60gxp and it fails after 2 months.. lol. so he's never getting ibm again, but i still love them. he didn't want to bother rma'ing the ibm so went and got a wd... i rma'd the sucker and got a 120gxp in return last week. :)

Originally posted by SnookBooger
With all that swapp'n going on it sounds like they run a flea market...:D

not quite... jus good mates of mine that run the shop :D

luck you, try getting somthing changed here in Italy....dosent happen easy, they blame everythng else apart from the actual product you brought from them :-(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back