IBM 180GXP vs Western Digit JB

J

joey

Recently, both IBM and WD have launch a 8mb buffer EIDE harddisk.

Anyone knows which one is better?

On a general basis, I definitely prefer IBM hard drives which never failed on me...

Originally posted by Ant -|- One
On a general basis, I definitely prefer IBM hard drives which never failed on me...
On a general basis, I definitely avoid IBM hard drives which only seem to fail on me... (2 now)

;)
You'll get very different oppinions depending on who answers in here.

I'll put in my 2 cents.

I've had 3 WD drives, 2 of which died within 3 months of installation. Never had a problem with IBM, Seagate, Quantum, nor Maxtor.

go get a BMW... Toyota is not bad either... but personally in terms of buget and value... Hyundai is not a bad option if you are not that rich...

go for BMW!

err... i mean, go with IBM! that new drive is sure to scream, seeing as how their current 120gxp is pretty much the fastest ide hd you can buy. all their drives come with a 3-year warranty, anyway.

Were you expecting factual answers? Cus I don't think you'll get any. And I really can't be bothered to look, and you obviously can't be bothered to look, since you asked.

But I prefer Western Digital for no other reason than I just do.

I prefer IBM. I like how it runs ( it's speed ). Had WD drives, two died on me before, one recently, had an old Seagate drive ( 4GB ) that killed itself also :). Right now I'm just sticking with what works. IBM.

I used to own two 60G IBM Deskstars, both have now been returned to IBM for replacement as they both failed (within 1 month of each other)

I've now had them replaced and sold them and got some new Maxtor drives instead.

I would steer well clear of IBM Deskstar drives

Both companies are very debateable. I think you should just go what catches your eye first.

this WD has been running great

i recommend WD

maxtor hasnt let me down either

i have had western digitals in all my PC's three to be exact a 10GB,20GB,two 30GB and a 40GB had them all for two years going on three and none died on me yet.

WD Coming thru....

That's now 5 for WD and 4 for IBM.

Keep those thoughts coming.

I have got a IBM 40gig Deskstar. It is excellent, and cheap !

A big number of the IBM 60GXP and 75GXP had major technical problems due to their construction. IBM lost alot on them. But with 120GXP (and forward) it has been fixed. I have a 120GXP and it has been the best Hdd so far, fast seek time and it is rock steady.

Next time I will get a new hdd..it will be IBM...:)

in my dell, i'm on my 3rd drive (a WD) i was never really sure what the other two were, but they both failed on me, but i didn't know so much about computers then, it probably was some sort of **** up on my part and the part of 98SE/Me. but my 40G WD has been going strong for at least a year now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back