• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

IBM 120GXP 80GB HD not supported by MSI-645E Max2?

C

chenwei

Guest
#1
Not sure anyone of you encountered this? today I bought a P4 1.6a system with MSI 645E Max2 Board, and a 80GB HD (IBM 120GXP). However the HD detected by the bios is only 32GB! :mad: no matter how i format, detect again, failed to make it become 80GB.... ::eek:

I tried to update the bios but it said my bios is updated already, what should i do? plss.... i need help! can't imagine using 32GB on 80GB HD... :(
 
#2
BIOS detects it as 32 right?
Bummer man. There can be two reasons as I see it.

1. Your BIOS only supports < 32 GB drives. Bummer. Get a new MB.

2. The disk i accidentaly capped. I know IBM usually have the possibility to cap the disk to either 2 (if smaller than 32 GB) or 32 GB. Look at the disk and make sure you've set the jumpers correctly. "16 heads" should be your settings (master or slave depending on your setup).

Hope it's number two! ;)
 

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
#3
Go back to where to where you got it & tell them to set it properly. They might have to start from scratch. You possibly need a 'disk overlay' program so that the HD will be recognised by the motherboerd as 80 gig.

If you set it up the shop should be able to provide you with the over lay program which loads from booting.
 
C

chenwei

Guest
#4
Originally posted by Zedric
BIOS detects it as 32 right?
Bummer man. There can be two reasons as I see it.

1. Your BIOS only supports < 32 GB drives. Bummer. Get a new MB.

2. The disk i accidentaly capped. I know IBM usually have the possibility to cap the disk to either 2 (if smaller than 32 GB) or 32 GB. Look at the disk and make sure you've set the jumpers correctly. "16 heads" should be your settings (master or slave depending on your setup).

Hope it's number two! ;)
woo hoo.... it's number two! it's due to the jumper setting! according to the original printed on HD, master setting supposed to be something like this

|...
|.--


however when i surf around the web, found that IBM standard should be like this:

|..|
|..|


only one jumper setting.... :mad:
 
#5
Originally posted by chenwei
woo hoo.... it's number two! it's due to the jumper setting! according to the original printed on HD, master setting supposed to be something like this

|...
|.--


however when i surf around the web, found that IBM standard should be like this:

|..|
|..|


only one jumper setting.... :mad:
Are you suer you didn't read it wrong? 16 heads master looks like
|..|
|..|

on my disks (top left corner of label). 32 GB clip master looks like
|...
|.--

(top more to the right)

Glad it works now btw! :)
 
C

chenwei

Guest
#6
Originally posted by Zedric
Are you suer you didn't read it wrong? 16 heads master looks like
|..|
|..|

on my disks (top left corner of label). 32 GB clip master looks like
|...
|.--

(top more to the right)

Glad it works now btw! :)
yes, i read on the surface of the HD, the second one is written, but the first one should be the one...

so what r the difference between 16 heads and 32 one? :confused:
 
#7
Well it's 16 heads as opposed to 15 heads, another setting. For compatibility I think. Got to do with how many reading heads are used inside the disk (or something). The 32 GB clip setting is for motherboards that can't handle bigger disks than that. The fourth and final setting is called Auto Spin Disabled. Your guess is as good as mine. ;)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,015
Latest member
evaiwhitis