i7 Mobo Supports DDR2

N

Not Bman

Simple question, is there a i7 supported motherboard that supports DDR2 as well as DDR3 RAM?

Memory support is dictated by the cpu in the i7's and they all want ddr3...

Am I right that DDR3 motherboards require you to install RAM in triplets rather than in pairs?

My understanding is that you can install a single stick, two sticks or three And the platform will operate in single, dual or triple channel mode. Obviously atleast three sticks is ideal as it takes advantage of the triple channel memory controller for added bandwidth.

DDR3 will drop once it becomes practical to do so. I like Intel's pluck, trying to get people to upgrade. However, the heavy price of switching to the i7 platform (upgrading to DDR3, relatively pricey motherboards, and the processor itself) will be off-putting for many, especially considering the world's current economic climate and the fact that current processors do what 95% of users need.

Intel is targetting the very early adopters flush with cash at the moment. Prices will drop in the next 6-8 months :)

"DDR3 prices have already started dropping and DDR2 prices are increasing now as production is shifted from the older DDR2 lines to new DDR3 chips increasing supply on the DDR3 and making DDR2 harder to find." DRAM business report issued yesterday. Module prices will lag for a while as inventories build and decline respectively.

When the DDR to DDR2 changeover happened it was pretty fast. First there was a glut of DDR2 and dumping with rapid price erosion (which I think happened over the last few months for DDR2). Then The old stuff price jumped and the newer memory price sat level for about six months. Finally the new memory price collapsed as produciton exceeded demand. Based on the over production capacity in the DRAM markets and the current recession, expect DDR3 prices to get really soft late spring.

You heard it here first!

yeah, you can put one stick in an i7 board. but if you are going get one I would get a the tri channel ddr3. You can get a corsair dominator 6 gig for a decent price.

I'd suggest Crucial over corsair. corsair do not make stable ram.

I disagree 100%. I've been using Corsair in every rig I've built for the better part of a decade. I've only had -one- bad stick of memory from them, and never any stability issues. Corsair makes some of the best memory around, hands down.

No problems with my Corsair mem got quite alot recently, mind you i had no problem with the crucial i got before !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back