I want to upgrade my pc, but...

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I want to upgrade my PC, but I have a few question before I actually upgrade the PC. I own a Packard Bell 7800RW (bought in Holland, if that makes any difference), for further specifications see my sig. Here's a list that I want to upgrade:

Pentium III 800 -> Athlon XP 2200+ (and cooler of course)
256 MB SD-RAM -> 512 MB DDR 333 RAM
MSI-6309 motherboard -> MSI KT3-Ultra Socket A
PSU 235 watt -> PSU 300 watt

I know that the computer is a standard ATX model, but I'm not sure if the computer is adjusted in any way that it only (fysically) can fit the motherboard and PSU which are already in there. I'm almost positive that isn't the case and I can upgrade whatever I want, but I not sure, so I ask you guys/girls.

its really your desition but if you want somebody elses choice then i would go with Athlon XP 2200 , 512 MB DDR 333 RAM , MSI KT3-Ultra Socket A , and keep PSU 235 watt !!

Great machine there b-man_ but, I would up that power supply to at least a good 300W PSU.

Well, I heard that the Athlons need much power and I'm going to put in a Geforce 4/5, so I think it's best to upgrade the PSU as well, maybe a 350 watt. Thanks for the input b-man__ and Terrahertz

350watt psu definatly cos if u dont get the right psu from the start and the psu fails it can cause damage to ur hardware so its better goin for one u'll know will be fine like a 350 or a 400watt psu

are you asking if that board would fit in your packard bell case:confused:

I know that the computer is a standard ATX model, but I'm not sure if the computer is adjusted in any way that it only (fysically) can fit the motherboard and PSU which are already in there. I'm almost positive that isn't the case and I can upgrade whatever I want, but I not sure, so I ask you guys/girls.

eh people... come on... the athlon 2200 + is built on a 0.13 micron platform therefore consumes less power than the 2100 and lower models... still I would NOT go below a 300 and would HIGHLY recommend a 350 minimum...

the new cards coming out need their own power source so you might wanna invest in a bigger PSU..

my 2 cents...

if in fact you are then maybe maybe not.....some pc manuf. have been known to adjust the size of there mobo. to fit only there cases. & vice/versa. espeacially w/ desktops not sure bout towers

Originally posted by vdubVR6
are you asking if that board would fit in your packard bell case:confused:

Yes and for the PSU. Because in the past I know that computer manufacturers (such as Compaq) slightly adjusted their computers that it only could fit hardware supplied by the original manufacturer. I don't know to what extend it is still being done today, so maybe someone else knows

Edit:
whoops, didn't see your post. Looks like we where thinking the same:p . Spooky

sazar99 i might be wrong but i thought that AMD still only used 0.18micro. untill clawhammer comes out then again what do i know i still use a o/c @ 1.2 slot A tbird

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back