• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

I want to make a CD-R copy of my HD

R

RyanC

I'm running Win XP home on my Dell laptop which has a CD-R. I also have NSW 2002, which has Norton Ghost on it.

Right now my system is running perfect, and I'd like to make a copy of it on CD-R's so if anything ever goes wrong in the future, I can easily just reinstall everything straight from a few CD-R's. I guess this means that I need the CD-R's to be bootable?

I've tried running NSW Ghost in the past, and I keep getting errors messages when it is about to write to my CD-R after I reboot my computer.

How can I go about doing this? Are there any free programs on the net that can do this?

A

allan

Originally posted by gustav64
What kind of error msg's?

Have you tried the system restore function in xp?
What would system restore have to do with a Ghost error message?

G

gustav64

Originally posted by allan
What would system restore have to do with a Ghost error message?
Nothing.

But he said he had a system running perfectly well. And then I thougt it was a good idea to make a system restore point.

R

RyanC

Gustav, don't restore points sometimes get deleted when the max amount of dedicated space is used? I'd also like something more permanent, in case of a HD failure.

I'm going to try again to make another copy of my HD using Ghost and see how it goes.

The error message in Ghost I believe was regarding my CD-RW drive. Something about it not being able to write discs, even though Ghost identified it as being a CD-RW drive, and I'm able to write discs in Windows. I'll try again and take note of what the message says.

R

RyanC

OK, here's a description of the problem from my memory.

I make a boot disc, I reboot, go into PC DOS. As some of the drivers, or files (whatever is on the floppy) load, I get a few error messages, about API2, 4, 8, etc being unable to install. Sorry, but I forget the actual name of the file.

Then, the Ghost wizard in PC DOS loads. I select to make an image from my drive, and select to copy it to the CD-R drive. At this point I insert a blank disc into the drive, and then I select High Compression (instead of Fast, or None).

Then, the floppy drive starts chugging a bit, then stops, and my CD-R drive whirs up a bit. Then, after about 30 seconds a message pops up saying that the disc in the drive is not blank, and that if it is a CD-RW, that it should be erased. Any problems, contact....blah blah.

I click "OK" and I go back to the black dos screen. I reboot and try again, this time selecting No Compression, I get the same error message.

I'm suspecting that Ghost is having a problem communicating with my CD-RW drive in DOS or something, though it does recognize it as being a CD-RW drive. Could this be due to the error in loading the files at the beginning, and if so, how do I get these files to load?

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Only thing I can think of is to try & clean the disk with a cleaning kit from cd shops & try again. Maybe even give the laser a clean.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies