I want just the audio from a file.....

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Normally I'd used VirtualDub and save the uncompressed wav but it tells me on this particular file that "no audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio". So I have to save a compressed (crappy) copy. What other progs are out there that can copy just the source audio?

Nandub might be able to handle that problem... Then again i havent messed with audio in a while...
btw what type of file is it?

If VirtualDub cannot find the right decompressor, then I don't think that using a different program would make any difference. What you need is to find the necessary decompressor and then install it. I thought VirtualDub usually told you what was required, did it not do that in this case?

As for other programs to rip audio, VirtualDub is the only free one that I've used. I know of a couple of others but they aren't free.

If you can't find the correct codec (you should be able to), a quick and dirty solution is to just play the file back and record with recording software.

dreamliner77 said:
If you can't find the correct codec (you should be able to), a quick and dirty solution is to just play the file back and record with recording software.

Yeah, Audacity is free and should be able to get the sound if you set the source to Stereo Out and playback the file.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net

I had a feeling thats what you would tell me ... sigh! The file in question is an XVID of Eddie Izzard .. I want to make a VCD out of it but I gotta get the audio extracted first, the audio uses AC3 as its codec if that helps diagnose the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back