i think my PC is the devil...

IDLE

OSNN Senior Addict
OK, for the last 3-4 weeks ive had some conncetion issues. meaning, i loose connection on my network at random times. ahppens alot with online games or just browsing the internet. what i have done to try and fix the problem.

-I normally use the onboard NIC when this started happening. i then installed a NETGEAR NIC that worked in the past doing the same thing.

- I have changed Ports on the router (which is a Dlink 520 wireless. i am not wireless)

- I have changed out 4 different CAT5 cables.

another weird thing is that if i do loose my interenet connection, i can still see my network and browse with in it.

ive gone to the point of reinstalling the OS but that didnt help.

I am running an ASUS K8n mobo.

I just went through that same crap with a Linksys WRT54G. Turns out that my router was bad. I tried all ports, new firmware...everything. Nothing worked consistantly until I got a new router...good luck.

its just my pc. one laptop and another pc work fine, while my pc keeps lodsing connection. doesntmake any sense

have you tried using different ports with the router, or are you using the same port all the time with your pc?

also have you reinstalled windows since, could be a virus?!

merged

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually reinstall windows to fix problems I can't figure out. Works like a charm.

look at the original post again. ive done both of which you mentioned

Try this! Does your router have an automatic disconnect set up for say 5mins. If so this may be the problem as this would disconnect you from the internet (maybe a fault with the reconnection facility)but would still allow you to access your network.

Try what Michael suggested. Winsock damage is likely since you tried another NIC card.

The other possibility is a recent upgrade to your firewall or AV software. The winsock repair may fix that damage also.

PS It's not the PC's that are devils it's the Windows operating system.

Last edited:
I could be mis-understanding here but I think it's a bit odd that when your one PC loses connection, it can still access resources on other machines.

I can see if all of them went down, and pulled in APIPA IP addresses, but if your PC went down and the others are still up, they should have different IP classes and subnets.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back