i think i was hacked........

Q

quechubin

okay, so here's the deal. About a week ago, i think someone hacked into and messed with my computer. the reason i say this is because when i would open the my shared folder in kazza lite, only a third of my files were there. the other files after the letter c were deleted. i did a defrag on the disk and then a scan disk and during the scan disk i got messages such as "Change.log.1 in index $I30 of file 37 1738 has been removed" and the same thing with Change.log.2. so after the scan disk finished and those files were removed my computer started up again and i had all of the files in the my shared folder. so i thought that was that. well earlier this week, my computer started pausing frequently and i thought that i just had to do another defrag/scan disk. so when i opened up 'my computer' and tried to do a degrag/scan disk on my c: drive, it said the c: drive was raw. so i did a defrag/scan disk on the other drives and during the defrag to my m: drive (the drive where i store all my shared music from kazza lite) it said at the bottom, moving file change.log... so i tried searching for the file to delete it but i can't find it. and my computer still pauses for a few seconds like every few min and it's getting me all frustrated. sometimes, i try to click on a program and it won't even open it up, it'll just say it's not responding. and then sometimes the program will start up only to have it crash. i have norton antivirus and norton internet security 2003. i know this doesn't guarantee that i can't be hacked but is this the case? and if so, does anybody know how to stop the pausing? thanks in advance!

Sorry to say my friend but that sounds more like a failing hard drive.

Maybe someone else can shed more light on it for you, but sounds like a dying drive.

regards......Cupid

you stop the pausing of the files by turning off the Accelerator

and it sounds a bit like a dying drive to me too

All I know is, Kaaza has plenty of backdoors for people to snoop into your files. They can upload, download anything they wish (if you know how to off course).

You go on-line P2P swapping files (more like stealing files) and you have open ports which allow anyone to get in if they know how to.

Wonder how many trojans and virii you got on your hard drive?You deserve it.

You are like shop lifters, that think it's their right to steal. Well I know who i will blame for upping prices, to cover the cost of buying software and music from a store or the net.

Kaaza users and any P2P users deserve taking it up the keister.

talk about flying off the handle...

there seems to be alot of backdoors at the moment on kazaa. SPYBot and some Worm virus are the most common that i've read/heard about. I think Geffy and Cupid Stunt are right on this one though, does sound like a slowly failing hard drive

Originally posted by Leevoy
All I know is, Kaaza has plenty of backdoors for people to snoop into your files. They can upload, download anything they wish (if you know how to off course).

You go on-line P2P swapping files (more like stealing files) and you have open ports which allow anyone to get in if they know how to.

Wonder how many trojans and virii you got on your hard drive?You deserve it.

You are like shop lifters, that think it's their right to steal. Well I know who i will blame for upping prices, to cover the cost of buying software and music from a store or the net.

Kaaza users and any P2P users deserve taking it up the keister.

Dude keep your flames off our boards, you don't have something constructive to say SAY NOTHING! GOT IT?! :mad:

Do you have S.M.A.R.T turned on? or better yet does your mobo even support it? if it does then it can "tell" you if your drive is going to fail if you truly do think you were hacked I would format my computer just to be sure I got rid of whatever that guy did. But if after the format you were still having the same issues then I wopuld suggest getting a new hard drive :confused:

In regards to kazaa and morpheus and any other p2p's, you are at a extremely high risk for trogans/ viruses. Everyone that I know who has been in them have at some point needed to do a clean reinstall/format as you called it. Just thought I'd let you all know.

This is the remedy for P2P security issues:

SecureIDE.jpg

Sorry Snookbooger,
I dont think thats gona work like you think. For example you would need to already have access to your disk in order to use P2P in the first place, and secondly any hacker will take Admin rights to the disk and/or fool the PC into thinking he is you.

Therefore having secure IDE wont do Squit.

It will only be useful if someone nicks the hard disk, and then the chances are that hes gonna have the rest of your PC too.

IBM had something similar on their lappys, it encrypts the hard disk to the BIOS password, and it was only handy if you actually use the BIOS password option - this sounds very similar to me.

Could be wrong of course.
:D

Originally posted by Leevoy

*chuckles*

Do you really think that the music and software industries will ever lower their prices, if they could end all piracy? No...just more profits, and they'll probably keep on using "piracy" as an excuse to justify raising their prices until the end of time.

At the same time, do you really make the same asinine assumption that everyone who pirates is actually someone with the money to purchase the music / software and is just too lazy? I certainly don't condone piracy, but, especially with software, I don't know too many people with thousands and thousands of dollars just lying around to spend on some of these software packages. Most people who have pirated these softwares, from my experience, don't remotely have the money to purchase it anyway. It is money that the software industry will never see regardless, unless they do what Microsoft did with Thailand: dramatically lower their prices.

Melon

BTW, contrary to the "back door" hysteria here (if you've got an up-to-date antivirus that you use regularly, download the Windows Updates, and use Ad-Aware 6, you'll be in good shape on that), it's a failing hard drive, not hacking. Let me suggest buying R-Studio 2.0, which will allow you to copy files out of a failed "RAW" partition. The complete NTFS / FAT32 software is $80, with separate NTFS or FAT32 versions for less. You can also download a free demo, so you can see if it works or not for you.

Melon

Sounds like Leevoy is a bit of a "Back-Door" expert...

hehehehehe

(Toilet Humor never fails)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back