I think I have the MS Disease

AcftMecH

OSNN Addict
Just cuz I am so windownized (is that a word?)... and new to Linux, I was looking for some software that would do your normal "clean-up the garbage" type stuff. Does linux need this normal type maintenance like windows does?

If so, what do you suggest to clean up? Thanks!

I suppose j79 is telling you you have to do it yourself...maybe you could write a program and share it.

I don't know anything about linux, but I'd be mighty surprised if it didn't write logs and history that need to be purged for security reasons at times...being able to secure your tracks is a good idea on any machine, so I'm surprised a utility isn't written for linux yet.

let everyone know if you find something

There are plenty of logs, but there isn't anything in there that is a security risk. Look in /var/log but most are readable by root only.

At first when I saw the title I thought this was about someone having Multiple Sclerosis.
Good to see that is not the case. :up:

AcftMecH said:
"clean-up the garbage" type stuff. Does linux need this normal type maintenance like windows does?
Could you elaborate on that a little? What is it that you usually clean up on a Windows box?

like the registry which i know linux doesnt have, or spy or ad crap... along with the normal routine cleaning of temp files ...etc etc. just the everyday clutter that an OS may accumulate that takes up space.

I know I am probably thinking of windows too much.... but being new to linux, I didnt know if there was routine maintenance like that.

thanks!

No registry in Linux so that's out. Malware isn't really a problem. All you need is a properly configured firewall (iptables).

On the other hand, temp files and the other everyday clutter that you talk about does exists on Linux and every other OS as well - it all depends on the apps you're using. For example, your browser will maintain a history and disk cache no matter what OS you use (unless you disable it, of course). Other apps may use temporary storage on the drive as well. With that said, there's no real reason why you need to clean any of this up on any OS, including Windows, other than to save space or for privacy, perhaps.

perris said:
I suppose j79 is telling you you have to do it yourself...maybe you could write a program and share it.

I don't know anything about linux, but I'd be mighty surprised if it didn't write logs and history that need to be purged for security reasons at times...being able to secure your tracks is a good idea on any machine, so I'm surprised a utility isn't written for linux yet.

let everyone know if you find something

Writing a program would have to be towards a specific distrobution, every person/distrobution stores the log files in different places, there is no standard location for a ton of things. Most of them do follow the tradition of /var/log, but redhat has been known to log to /usr/var/log. Basically, it would be a pain to write it.

Also, most of the log files can be user defined, they are not stuck to one specific location, so really, the user has to do it themselves.

Temp files should be cleaned up by the programs that use them, but if you feel adventerous, you can just purge /tmp on a boot, there are scripts out there that do it for you on shutdown, or just before everything boots up. Be carefull, some of the files are needed for the GUI/desktop.

I do suggest setting up a firewall of some type, there are a ton of free utilities out there that can do it for you with minimum of a hassle.

http://www.theserverpages.com/20102/11/

Is a good guide on using APF, just give it the ports to allow incoming, and which ones to allow outgoing, and you are set.

There is no registry, and no malware, so that is out. If you are paranoid, download and install chkrootkit and scan with that every so often, and as with any other OS, keep it updated.

X-Istence

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back