I spent 2 weeks on this and i cant fix it still!

M

Memizex

Ok, i have Windows XP Pro on one computer and Win 98se on the other. I have it setup both computers are connected to a hub and the hub is hooked up on to the Modem. they both can Ping eachother but we cant see eachother on Network Neighborhood or Places. i got XP's Firewall down as well as mine to be able to ping eachother. I use Zone Alarm. When i try to set everything up it tries to use these crappy wizard utilities to network. I Know its software problems, and i cant figure it out. I also cant figure out how to configure sharing like i was in 98 on XP, it tells me i should put stuff in the share folder but i cant password protect my drives if i network them, i think they call this the advances Share Utility, advanced my crack! Well if anyone can help please!!!!!!:confused:

I set all my IPs , Subnets Domain/workgroup manually BUT you still have to run the XP wizard

I dont know why or what it does but it does something .....

You have to run the XP wizard !!

I found that "wizard" to be a pain in my ass since it set thing s up the way it wanted... I wanted to use "non-routable" addresses and it set my server up for 169.*.*.* addresses... However it left the addresses as I set them on the workstation... I tried using it a few times more then just set them up manually... The wizard set up the properties for sharing but that can be done manualy too.. Just right click > sharing > then "don't use blah blah wizard" and accept the nasty warnings, Ok maybe I just remember it like that" and you should be set...

hi there,
ok,,
so if you have used the Network Wizard, did u used the Network Wizard Disk install in Win 98sec ?..

if you used the Disk Wizard thingy, it won't have a problem.

i have exactly computer like u . One WinXp Pro and Win 98sec.

I have the same 98 - gateway

and XP as a client

I installed ICS on the 98 box, set the network properties in XP, ran the wizard , tell it the machine is part of a LAN - bingo -- Networked

I have never used the wizard floppy disk

Static IP's non-routable .. runs excellent for me

ON my buddies pc he had the same problem and it was zonealarm that was causing it, have you tried to disable it and see if you can access? Also i think there are some XP updates for zone alarm to fix this problem

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back