I recently ordered massive amounts of computer

N

neoterixx

I recently ordered massive amounts of computer parts, to build myself another system, and I forgot the most important thing, CPU Thermal Grease and Paste. Now Im getting a 2700 Xp Amd cpu and moving my old 2000 to another motherboard. I have no thermal paste for the 2000, it has Arctic Silver Compound, and I dont have anymore. Does anyone know what store I can buy a packet of thermal grease ?

I would say order it online or you can check the small computer stores in your area (if there are any). Places such as CompUSA don't carry the best (arctic silver III), they carry crappy ones.

you think I could just move the fan, and the cpu without reapplying artic silver?

Can the fan burnout ? Or it will just overheat and shut off right? I dont want to damage the cpu :(

I think that you could be running a risk at burning out your cpu. I personally would apply the grease beore starting her up.

I thought the cpu only overheats and shuts itself down? @ least thats what I always thought. I didnt know you risk the chance of burning the cpu out while running it that hot :(

well, it depends on your mother board. If it does support that,m then more power to you, but you are still running a risk at burning it up.

That sucks! You think I can scrape off a piece of old thermal grease strip off an old cooler ?

you oculd, but I would get the good stuff as soon as you can. If you change it after a few days I don't think it will matter too much, just keep an eyeon the temperature of the CPU. What motherboard did you get?

get the stuff and do it properly as soon as possible

radioshack sells thermal grease I dunno if you have those in the UK. but hey its worth a shot.

order it on 24 hour delivery ;) i wouldn't fire it up without it as it may smoke a little bit + all your new parts could go up in flames :p

I checked and compusa has some thermal grease, pads, and worse case scenario im going to just pay 20$ for a new fan and heatsink. Circuit city also sells these fans.

you want a good fan/heatsink, don't selltle for mediocracy on that, trust me.

I used my old Volcano 7, and bought some silver compound @ compusa ($9.99). Seems to be working well.

oh ok, i thought you meant you had a bad heatsink. That's the one i'm using (volcano 7+) and my system runs nice and cool =]

i recommend lapping the volcano 7 for the XP2700 chip, mine used to run 44 idle and 50 load, since lapping to 1200 grit at the same room temp i run 41 idle and 43 load, hot little buggers those XP2700's :) but they love a little care and attention to detail during the build.

On my 2700 + Im using the Heatsink + fan that came with the packaging. system is running at like 50 Degrees-53 degrees. Eventually I will throw on the arctic silver compound and get a better heatsink and fan.

make sure you also have good air circulation in the case, with at least 3 or 4 80mm case fans

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back