i own 3dmark

W

wyrlwyn

hay, i just build a athlonxp 1800+, k7n420 system sporting a msi geforce4 ti 4200 and 512 megs of 2100ddr(in the 128meg positions) and i was wondering why i score higher then all the rigs in maximumpc(there zero mark is 31.5fps)in the 3dmark game 4 test. i get 36.8 and the highest ones i see in the mags are 35, and thats with a p4 2.5gig and a g4 ti4600. i haven't run the quake 3 benchmark(you guys don't have it for the 1.31 point release) and i haven't run any of the others, but i was wondering if you could shed light on this. i have the memory set up in the first and third slot to enable the 128bit memory, is that giving me such a boost in proformance? i also ran sandras benchmark and it said my agp bus was 89mhz, i thought it was supposed to be 66mhz, but it doesn't seem to hurt after 3 hours of quake 3, so, i guess its not reading it right. i also have a special edition western digital hd(8mb of cache), but would that make my system(which cost about 800 dollars) preform better then $2000+ systems?

does anyone now a reliable quake 3 demo(well know) that will run with the 1.31 point release?

have you overclocked your pc by clocking your FSB higher than 133? if you have all your pci and agp bus speeds will also scale higher...

btw my rig cost 650 to make...

well, i would, but i installed xp yesterday and i have no internet access on that pc at the moment, and, the bus is 134, so technically i have an athlon xp 1801+... i have to get online and run it... i'll check yours out though, i'm not saying i'm faster then anyone here, i just find it odd that this 800 dollar system is faster then an alienware pc in the july 2002 issue of maximumpc... page 60, which costs 8000 dollars, while mine cost 800.

ok, yours is 30% faster then mine, but still, i find it od how our custom build systems are running faster then profesionally constructed machines, are they using a diffrent version then we are, or am i missing something...

It's possible that their scores are run at the MAX settings for everything, skimmed through your post, didn't catch what settings ya ran at.

And besides, you could build an AlienWare system for 1/4 the cost..

well technically according to winxp I am running a 2100+ and I AM running @ 2100+ speeds..

now if you could post links/benchmarks to show what you are saying then we could all see it too :)

i ran it at the normal settings, i didn't change any res or texture qualities, i just ran game 4, and yah, mine aren't as high as yours, but, you didn't run all the demos either, mister radeon... i've seen the 8500s get hammered in the later games that you seemed to turn off... i get 7945 3dmarks when i run all them...
as i said before, i can't go online with the machine at this moment, so, your gona have to trust me, i ran only game 4, so, maybe the system didn't get bogged down from all the other tests... whats your score running all the tests, with the radeon clocked at 275/275?

well actually... if you know about the way the benching works.. all the scores are gathered after the first games... the bump mapping and everything else is just added info for YOUR ego... thats all.. it does nothing to add or take away from your score... your score is calculated per the games at low and high detail ONLY...

else I would not have been able to provide a compare since I would not have run using default settings...

I don't have the time to run the benches with the bum-mapping and all that... its a waste of time..

here is an older test of mine WITH the other stuff that I am getting hammered at...

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4123817

notice the clock speeds... it was running before I clocked higher...

and the card was clocked @ 275/275

boo, why don't you run the whole thing at stock speeds and then post it, casue, i had the system for about 20 hours and haven't had time to oc, but, the 150-200fps at 1600X1200 with 32bit everything in quake 3 is kind of distracting...

do you have any case cooling in your rig to keep the radeon up that high, or did you do a heatsink mod? or does the radeon naturally overclock well?

I am not posting the 3dmark scores for personal enjoyment... I just could not figure out what you meant by the statement that you are blowing away all the higher end machines..

its not possible that with the same set of drivers and machines that you can blow away higher end machines... all you have to do is get online and do a project compare after you run the default tests... and you will see what I mean..

I have not saved my project frm default speeds... therefore I can't post it and I'll be damned if I go back and change my clock speed back down just so I can run a test on default..

I got around 9200 + default far as I remember.. newer catalyst drivers knock down the speed a tad.. but it looks nicer...

also... remember that I am not competing with your card... the g4 ti is a different/newer card than mine..

I got mine for 130 so i bought it else I Woulda bought the 4200/4400 as well...

for my cpu clock I am around 600 points ahead of the curve for my clock speed for my card on average...

you might want to compare your card to the others in your processer speed range too..

if you REALLY want to clock high... oc a little.. and run win98 or win2k.. you should get higher scores...

radeon naturally oc's pretty well...

default ones can go to around 300 with no probs... BUT I would reocmmend getting a head spreader just so you don't burn anything..

I have gone 298/298 with no probs and artifacts and have run MAX at 304/304

but I don't leave it there long :)

I run most of the time @ default... its fast enough fr me...

I am just using the stock ati cooler...

i ran the whole thing and i got 7945.... you can see my setup, so what am i doing wrong? i see alot of 1700+ with g3ti200s getting better scores then me, whats up? got any pointeres or tweaks?

i think i'll try ocing it alil, the nforce boards dont' sound oc friendly, but i'll knock up the fsb alittle, and the g4 came with clock modifiable progz, so, i'll see what i can do... on firday when i get to use the machine...

don't overdo it... thats a good score over all though with a 4200 you should be looking @ around 8500 at least with your rig...

perhaps your memory @ 2100 is the bottleneck...

when I ran my rig with 2100 rated mem ( I underclocked my memory) I was getting around 9200 with the same rig..

now as for the machines with lower clocks doing well.. they are hella moded just to run the test one time to get highest possible score... thats all..

don't worry about it in the least mate..

:)

i've been working on this computer for 2 years now, i started with a matsonic via kt133 board and a 1 gig athlon and a voodoo5... its been three cpus, 4 motherboards, and 3 video cards later and i now have a computer that works the right way(thank you windows xp). i've actually put blood into this computer, its more of a passion now... so, i'm not gona give up anytime soon...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back