I need to know my real IP on the Internet... please help

M

Masaki Ando

I just got a AT&T Cable connection today, and I share it with 2 other computers with a Netgear Router. (RT314) My dad's friend want to use Netmeeting to talk, (Yes, I know that it sucks and is old) but I can't figure out my real IP address that is used on the Internet. All I can see is a local IP like 192.168.0.2, or something like that. Also, I need to know my IP so I can give it to my peeps when I start a SOF2, Q3A, or JK2 server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Ok so correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just type in:

ipconfig

in a dos prompt and get your IP?

Hope that helps.

Oh, well then... by asking I know I show my knowledge or rather lack there of, but what is the difference between your 'local IP' address and the IP address he is looking for?

always going to be fun to use if hes on a cable network and gets a different address every time.

i'd just take the simple way out and use ms messenger using .net passports it will find each other and take care of the address resolving itself (when you log in it notes address and when someone else wants to chat w/you it resolves to each other) and you can video, sound, chat share files, use remote assistance whatever through it.

just a suggestion:)

strange..... gives me a totally dif. ip then i really have? for a second there, i thought isp changed my ip AGAIN, but just checked my own method, its not matching....... strange.... :S, and i know mine is right cause i host ftp's, and games on it.... :S

even if with a dynamic cable connection the only way to get a change in IP is to change the MAC address the connection goes to...

this makes no sense to me.......you can change an ip address as many times as you want on the same mac address what you think dhcp does?

Originally posted by catch23
No, that allows each connection coming from a host to use a different IP for the one connection alone...that's what DHCP does....it doesn't actually CHANGE your IP address....it makes temporary ones as required.

yes and alot of isp's use that, even if I'm on aol i get a different address each time......maybe his isn't but some cable networks each computer is just a host and when you connect it gives you an address to use from its pool, when its idle or signs off it releases it again. there set up like a big local network.

No, that allows each connection coming from a host to use a different IP for the one connection alone - thats a proxy server that shares a connection dhcp assigns address but has nothing to with what the computer does with it after it has it

your talking locally inside your router, some wans work the same way too. the address to your router could be dynamically assigned

ah hell its too late for this:rolleyes:

Woudnt a tracert work if he traced back to his isp or his friends computer woudnt that show in the list what ip his host machine ip is? or does it show up as a timeout?

catch you are wrong. Again. DHCP assigns an IP to a client. ONE IP. This IP is used to identify the client, like you said. DHCP does NOT give out a new IP for each connection request made by the computer. The connections aren't even made through the DHCP server. The client will recieve a different IP than the last time if:
1. The MAC address is different. This is considered another client.
2. The last used IP is taken by another client. This is often the case with ISP:s using dynamic IP.
3. The client has been using another IP for a while in between the DHCP requests. For instance if you used static IP for a while (maybe at a LAN party) or another DHCP server.

Masaki Ando: If you want to see your external IP just log into the Netgear router. It should be visible somewhere in there.

thank you Zedric. i just didn't feel like and it was too late to get into a protocol and network debate. must have read the manual that came with router, now a tcp/ip expert. i've had years of it and don't know it all, its a large suite of protocols

- this is not pointed at anyone specific -

sometimes its funny, i go to a show and overhear some of these conversations about computers; networking and hardware and have to laugh. someone builds a computer once, gets two computers to see each other or reads some article and preaches like its gospel what they think they know. i let most of it go but gets annoying when, either someone starts preaching to me about something I'm looking at, i never get anything without full research, or they ask your expertise then tell you what their going to do anyway like your full of it. makes me feel like smashing all my stupid certs i have on the wall over their head.

if its using nat (network address translation) its working as a simple form of dhcp and proxy combined - yes its dynamic to hosts im talking about your isp's network to modem/router can also be dynamic if isp is set up that way alot arent some are theres not enough ip addresses for everyone to have a static one, although alot do some cable networks are dynamic to your house also not everything works the way yours might

To the original guy:

One almost surefire way of getting your outside IP is to access your router's configuration interface. How do you access your router? This question is harder to answer because it varies from router to router.

I went ahead and saved you the trouble. I went to netgear's site and looked it up. Here's the link: http://www.expressresponse.com/cgi-bin/progsnp/netgear1/srchjnnp?

Basically their configuration page is telnet based. Following their instructions won't work because the dos command prompt will close immediately if you run a program from the command line. Instead, type "cmd" to bring up a DOS prompt, then type "telnet" and hit enter. THen type "O 192.168.0.1".

Thanks, everyone!!!:)

I accessed the router's configuration program, and discovered that all 3 computers share a single WAN address.

But here is another question: Suppose I have all 3 computers each running a different SOF2 private server (the one you have to type "Connect [IP address]" in the console), if a client connects to the that WAN IP i have, which computer would that client connect to?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back