I need to know my real IP on the Internet... please help

I'll have to brush-up on all this IP, ISP, TCP/IP packet switching stuff but it seems to me that anything that can retain the same internet address over time and multiple disconnects costs lost of money.

Everything else gets dynamically alocated or you would not need an e-mail address.

Totaly out of date and even more confused. I'm still pinning or is that head spinning?

Originally posted by catch23
Zedric you STILL don't understand...my connection is dynamic and my IP has not changed in months...
I never said it had to. I said it COULD.
To hell with routers...
Modem -> NAT ---> switch ---> 4 other computers
But you ARE using a router.
I'll I'm saying is that yes, each connection made gives a different IP FOR THE CONNECTION.....but it DOES NOT change the host's IP address given to the modem by the ISP. That's impossible...you would never be able to stay connected to anything.
Let's define connection. I thought you meant that one connection is IE requesting a page, another mIRC sending a DCC message, another CuteFTP requesting a file and so on. Now it seems you meant a CLIENT rather than a request. Is it? In that case, what you where talking about in the beginning wasn't DHCP, it was NAT using DHCP. Am I right? In that case I understand what you mean.

*rubs his forehead*..

The IP identifying the modem WILL NOT change unless the physical adress it leads to changes...and that's ONLY if it's dynamic.
*sigh* :rolleyes:
The IP identifying the modem WILL NOT change unless the physical adress it leads to changes OR the IP is being used by another client (meaning it was considered free when you where offline and therefore assigned to someone else) OR if you used another IP so long the DHCP lease ended in the DHCP server. Then the client will not request the last IP used on that particular DHCP server (since it won't remember) and the DHCP server won't give the same IP (since it won't remember either) ...and that's ONLY if it's dynamic, of course.

That's the point of dynamic IP:s.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back